gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:17:36 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  MP3 'died' and nobody noticed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MP3 'died' and nobody noticed  (Read 2261 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
MP3 'died' and nobody noticed
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:46:29 am »
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/16/mp3_dies_nobody_noticed/

The owner of the MP3 format killed it off last month – and it's taken three weeks for anyone to notice. With the last of the patents protecting the MPEG Audio Layer III expiring, the Fraunhofer Institute has declined to renew the IP and terminated its licensing programme.

"Although there are more efficient audio codecs with advanced features available today, mp3 is still very popular amongst consumers. However, most state-of-the-art media services such as streaming or TV and radio broadcasting use modern ISO-MPEG codecs such as the AAC family or in the future MPEG-H. Those can deliver more features and a higher audio quality at much lower bitrates compared to mp3," the Institute said in a statement.

heh cool :P

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: MP3 'died' and nobody noticed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:57:05 am »
Sounds more like its now free for all, I like to think of MP3's as akin to JPGs, I prefer PNG but detest the size of many of the alternative audio formats. MP3 shall live on for a long while yet I'm sure.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:52 pm »
In pirate circles it is the defacto lossy standard. Using LAME to encode it to both v0 VBR and 320 CBR is basically every scene and P2P release. All the big music sites like WCD (now gone), RED, APL, NWCD, Petros etc all release in MP3 for everything.

AAC and OGG have not caught on with pirates because they're not as ubiquitously supported when it comes to device playback. Personally I was getting MP3 320's but I've switched to FLAC now since it's lossless. I can then transcode it in to whatever format I need (ALAC, AAC, MP3 etc) for the specific playback device I'm using.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:56 am »
I can then transcode it in to whatever format I need (ALAC, AAC, MP3 etc) for the specific playback device I'm using.
while im definitely with you on FLAC/ALAC i also download ogg opus and other odd formats such as mod xm sid ym (the list goes on)... i learned my lesson that an android device with a large capacity SD card running VLC keeps me from having to transcode... cos i got tired of the whatever to mp3 game really fast..

Using LAME to encode it to both v0 VBR and 320 CBR is basically every scene and P2P release.
which is unfortunate since mp3 is so inefficient that 320 CBR is wasting a lot of bandwidth... but i digress.. i know its for compatibility..

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:07:12 am »
meh, 320 MP3 still sounds way nicer when plugging the source into my cars stereo. A trillion times better than anything by normal FM radio.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  MP3 'died' and nobody noticed

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx