gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:55:15 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  WinMX Adventures  |  OurMx History
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OurMx History  (Read 26777 times)

Offline ale5000

• Core
Re: OurMx History
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2016, 02:13:38 am »
It could became a very good program, the problem is that more time passes more users are lost in the way.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:36 am »
That's the big problem Ale5000, much as we try to gather in developers few have arrived to help and those that have are tied up in real life with time eating jobs,  We cannot set a date as that implies we can promise that certain bugs and issues can be resolved by that time and that's something I cannot promise without being dishonest, thus we are in limbo land, we require coders who can work on the program and whom use MFC c++ I haven't asked yourself to join our merry band as I am aware your already working on many projects and this ones a near full time commitment due to the complexities of what it is.

Our long term plan is to discuss and negotiate the adoption of a new primary protocol and work with any other developer to facilitate the updating of their offerings to work with the new protocol and by dint of it being not the existing protocol we could open src the client in a short time, the bottle neck is the code needs a lot of work to deliver the performance and reliability that folks demand and we need coders to undertake that.

I do see a light at the end of the tunnel but we need to rally around and a further one or two coders is the minimum that will leap the client forward into a realistic delivery time frame, in lieu of those coders I have set up the Ourmx support group and they will shoulder some of the load normally on the plate of the developer, currently they are getting themselves up to speed on some aspects of how mx does its thing and how we can improve on that and will be testing the newer release once I have removed an annoying bug, theres still many areas to complete to a higher standard but we have the bones of what we need and that's what the original OurMx was supposed to convey, we are getting there but at a snails pace as the skilled folks required for a faster project are near invisible.

Offline ale5000

• Core
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2016, 03:27:35 pm »
But the process can be automatized?
Maybe there can be a private repository with a script that create a new build every day and publish the builds on a web space.
I often use unstable builds, I'm expecting to see bugs.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:15 pm »
The way forward is as I have outlined many times, we get to a stable state of ourmx and then we employ the new protocol arrangements, the first hurdle we can make given time, the second relies on brokering agreement with the rest of the winmx developing community, we can go forward alone but its my hope we all go forward together with a better protocol that will mean we can open src the entire OurMx client, currently its ability to mimic winmx means its just as prone in some areas as winmx is, that's not the ideal way ahead and nows a good time while ourmx is still being worked on to get around a table or a chat room and discuss this matter, following this simple plan means we can kill all the annoyances in one  fell swoop, new client , new coders able to work on it and safety , stability and security for the networks users, we all win.

Currently the developers do all the research, planning, testing and other assorted tasks, freeing up those tasks to others whom cannot code but can spare time to read, test, research and hunt down specific items of interest or assistance is the way ahead in my view given our circumstance. this is the path we are following, tbh I personally prefer a smaller amount of quality bug reports rather than hundreds or thousands that would swamp the ability of the project to deal with them, this too is really another role for the OurMX support group, there is a big plan here to bring the client to the end users ASAP but I don't always have the time explain it when much of the time folks just want to know when its going to appear or why its late etc.

The OurMX support group will be thrown into whatever support roles are critically required and I hope make a great impact in the task of pulling the community cart to the top of the hill.

Offline ale5000

• Core
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:48 am »
In the latest message I wasn't talking about releasing the sources but about releasing a compiled build often to test it or just use it, like every day (automated not manually), even if there aren't any changes.
Just releasing new version when important changes are done is an outdated releasing model I think.

I just like to see the development in direct even without sources, I do not only look at the interface I usually notice everything; this will also bring more happiness to the community.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:40 am »
I understood what you meant Ale5000 , I would dearly love to be able to throw new versions out at a whim but until specific issues have been resolved I dont believe it benefits the community for me to do so, when we have something nice for them trust me I will be the first to share it out.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 10:59:39 pm »
Design by Committee?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 11:49:14 pm »
Or better still a committee  :lol:

Nice to see you about again Bluey  8)

We have a mountain of problems at the moment the main one has been zero other developers to bounce ideas off of and that alone slows dev to a crawl and then add to that any research has to be done by the same solo developer along with any testing and its hard to find anyone to help with that either and I have tried to drag a few folks into the project, it seems all anyone wants is the src code to play with and theres little wish to aid the community and a diminishing pool of folks whom have both the time and the will to do so,  I keep things ticking over and progress is made but theres no substitute for a professional developer to guide the way when theres a problem thats non obvious to resolve, that alone hold us up and its a scenario we have faced since day 1 of the project, progress has been made and will continue to be made but at a slow rate given the real life commitments I have and the lack of any further support from within the wider community, all that said however we are in a better place than some years ago in terms of being able to stand on our own two feet.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2017, 08:06:55 am »
whoa... bluey is still around? ltns!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  WinMX Adventures  |  OurMx History

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx