gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 08:21:44 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  What Operating System Are you Using With WinMx In 2017 ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

What Operating System Are you Using With WinMx

Windows XP
Win7
Win8
Windows 10
Linux Variant Using Wine
Linux variant using Virtualisation technology
Mac based Technology
Other...

Author Topic: What Operating System Are you Using With WinMx In 2017 ?  (Read 12715 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
What Operating System Are you Using With WinMx In 2017 ?
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »
We havent asked you for a while what O/S your using folks and it will be of help in the long term if we can get some idea of whats in favour and whats no longer used , this is helpful in terms of what new articles / information you may wish to read or have updated from our existing range, I have set the poll to only show to voters to encourage participation so please dont be shy and help us to help you  8) 8) 8)

Cheers folks  :D

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
Re: What Operating System Are you Using With WinMx In 2017 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:05:18 am »
windows 7 on 2 pc's

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:50:34 pm »
Cool, 7 seems to be the windows popular version atm it seems and most of the linux variants work ok with wine so alls good from what I can see, its very helpful to get this feedback so my thanks for your input Reef  8)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:27:41 pm »
Windows Server 2012 R2 on two computers. Runs great, no crashes or instability until 49.7 days uptime then WinMX has to be restarted due to the GetTickCount() bug.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:04 am »
Windows Server waa something I didnt think of for sure  :lol:

A picture of diversity seems to be emerging, this is of course just the information we need to know, whilst I'm a bit concerned we havent seen enough votes to help focus the brunt of our efforts it's clear the votes we have seen so far are a good pointer to the way ahead for the site, my thanks to all whom have taken the time and effort to vote  :bow:

I will leave the poll running for a while longer  :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:11:30 am »
Windows Server waa something I didnt think of for sure  :lol:

each server version has a consumer equivalent .. 2012r2 is the very utilitarian/heavy duty version of windows 8 (roughly), with many features that would be useless to a consumer... winmx however still thinks 'windows 8' 

--

channel hosts; very much please link this thread in your rooms so a larger sample can be taken?

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »
I have a lot of data that may help. I run a tv guide which is accessible on my website but only to users of my chat room (they have to have an account in-room) and one of the things I save to their profile is their operating system and browser. So I can just load in the database and give you some statistics. The channel has 130 users roughly every day and the TV Guide website is used by about 60 unique users daily, all who use WinMX.

So here is that data, this is from March-July 2017, 495 unique users who accessed the TV Guide page while being logged in, so not guests/webcrawlers etc

Windows 10: 274
Windows 8.1: 28
Windows 8: 1
Windows 7: 128
Windows Vista: 10
Windows XP: 50
Windows 2000: 0
Windows 98: 0
Windows 95: 0

Hope this is helpful.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:31:33 pm »
Very helpful indeed Pri  8) 8) 8)

I am a bit in awe at the quantity of windows 10 folks using WinMx given that it was created for usage on win98 based systems back in the day, I feel however that this shows just what a fine peice of software it is  :-D

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »
The poll is being closed today, a big thank you goes to all of you that have taken part and a special mention goes to Pri for the extra data he has provided, this data will be used to help target our materials into the future, Cheers folks  8) 8) 8)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:20:30 am »
http://www.zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp/

just a friendly reminder of the PosReady hack for the (disturbing amount of) windows XP users.... ....have a VM and real hardware install of XP Pro that are running just fine with it.... granted i dont leave them connected to the internet for long periods of time so i guarantee nothing....

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 12:54:02 pm »
Windows 10 pro, server 2012r2 and virtualised NT4 Workstation here, the last is less glitchy on Debian systems than WinMX using WINE, and only needs a minimal VM.  Considering swittching that to 98Lite, for the sake of an even more minimal VM.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:16 am »
Considering swittching that to 98Lite, for the sake of an even more minimal VM.

98 wont support the patch without kernelEX installed and the 9x series doesnt use the HLT instruction when idle so they make very bad VMs... you -need- an NT variant..

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »
Eagle's patch may not support them but 98 (and 95) are both fully supported by KM's dll  which I've been using in hex edited form for a long time (not promoting it, just saying), and the lack of the HLT support is easily fixed by installing Rain under either Vbox or VMware for sure and probably QEMU and hyperv too, I've had patched WinMX running well in the past under Win 9x with KM's dll.. cats can usually be skinned more than one way.

For most people an NT variant would be easier granted.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 07:05:22 am »
All sounds like a lot of work for something so simple.

"Extreme patching" souind like a good book name to me for WPN die hards  :lol:

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »
I only run WinMX from punch cards. Sure I had to make an actual patch with sellotape over some of the holes but it works.

Just need to insert 15,000 cards in the right order and I'll finally be able to download the first 8 bits of the name of the movie I want.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 10:17:20 pm »
I'm actually too tied up with finding a suitable replacement for the family after the demise of CrashPlan Home to worry much about doing anything with WinMX over and above simply letting it run.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 11:43:13 pm »
I was using CrashPlan also. One of the alternatives I found was Duplicati, it's open source and their new 2.0 version came out earlier this month. It works on Windows, Linux and macOS. However it's a little rough around the edges.

Stand out features: Deduplication, Encrypted Backups, Full backups, incremental backups, remote destination support (FTP, S3, B2, SFTP, Amazon, Google). And also local backup support to a drive you have connected to the computer being backed up or to another computer you own using simple FTP/SFTP etc.

Hope that's helpful Beaded. It's definitely not for everybody and may not fit what you need but it does have many of the same features Crashplan had.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 12:49:42 pm »
a cheaper crashplan? own multiple external HDDs containing identical backup data... rsync will help keep this setup sane...

running winmx on linux? edit wines config to 'emulate virtual desktop' so that winmx doesnt run away and when it gets stuck closing the v-desktop will kill it without needing the kill command or process manager...

running winmx on a VM? try reactos .. reactos.com ... dont need a key or kowtow to a convoluted license agreement to run reactos

as far as extreme patching... ever hear the phrase "Trying to kill a bumble bee with a shotgun." ?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »
It does sound to me like a lot of over effort has been put in to undertaking what is a fairly simple operation but then some folks are not strictly talking about running WinMX but instead other functionality so we have to bear that in mind and smile from the wings.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 04:02:41 pm »
It does sound to me like a lot of over effort has been put in to undertaking what is a fairly simple operation but then some folks are not strictly talking about running WinMX but instead other functionality so we have to bear that in mind and smile from the wings.

problem is that anything in the windows family that is 'vista' and earlier is a security nightmare since there are no more security patches being released for these systems...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  What Operating System Are you Using With WinMx In 2017 ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.015 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx