gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:32:33 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Adobe Flash will die by 2020, Adobe and browser makers say
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Adobe Flash will die by 2020, Adobe and browser makers say  (Read 2059 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Adobe Flash will die by 2020, Adobe and browser makers say
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:21:14 pm »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3210968/software/adobe-flash-will-die-by-2020-adobe-and-browser-makers-say.html

Adobe Flash, one of the most controversial elements of the web, will be phased out by 2020, Adobe said Tuesday. Browser makers, including Microsoft and Google, simultaneously announced plans for a gradual phaseout over the next few years.

Adobe said that enough progress had been made within open web standards like HTML5 that it was time to phase out Flash. "Adobe and Macromedia provided innovation to the web, through browser plug-ins, before the underlying web standards could support the interactivity and creativity our digital media publishers and consumers craved," the company said in a blog post. "By the end of 2020, we firmly believe that all of these required media capabilities and standards will be widely deployed and natively available to customers within browsers."

if you have legacy flash content to watch now would be the time to make use of it while its still around...

if you are a creator of flash content and still have your original files there seems to be a program called 'adobe animate' that can export to html5

if you have flash content on your computer (a collection of .swf files for instance) flash player standalone (called 'projector') can be downloaded from; https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

...this topic seemed relevant due to discussions elsewhere on this forum...

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Adobe Flash will die by 2020, Adobe and browser makers say
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:30:03 am »
Flash has the distinct advantage that you can turn it OFF or not install the plugin.. and make the web a less ad-ridden place.. tougher to turn off HTML & still have the rest of a site work.  They ought to make it mandatory for ads, instead of phasing it out...  save using a blocker. :lolsign:
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:04:57 pm »
browsers have it off by default even if it is installed .. i have only one site whitelisted ... other sites rarely ask to run flash.. basically those that havent updated their design in a very long time... and even then its not needed for the site to function...

as for ads... well.. i honestly havent seen an ad in a while since opera has a built-in adblock and i have that backed up by adblock plus and EFFs privacy badger ( https://www.eff.org/privacybadger )...

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:59:04 pm »
Routinely I use Opera (default), Edge, Firefox, and SeaMonkey, with uBlock Origin looking after my adblocker needs.  Works well enough, and if flash is turned off in "all modern browsers" that seems a good reason to REQUIRE ads to be in flash.. then you don't go hunting add-ons to clean the web up.  :P

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:31:55 pm »
that seems a good reason to REQUIRE ads to be in flash.. then you don't go hunting add-ons to clean the web up.  :P
i wouldnt trust advertisers to not take advantage of security bugs or use flash to bypass popup blockers (flash ads routinely bypassed popup blockers) ... also in the winxp days when flash was always on "talking" flash ads at first were startling then annoying... nowadays html5 video ads that get past the ad blockers get added to the blacklist... esp that obnoxious jwplayer crap... ...i also find an extension called 'reader view' to be quite nice for news sites that like to embed video in an article i just want to read...

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:56:28 am »
Just my point.. you've got an extension to clear out the annoying video.. now if all they used was flash.. you just REMOVE the player.. no hunting extensions, and exactly how flash bypasses anything with no player installed is also moot.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Adobe Flash will die by 2020, Adobe and browser makers say

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx