gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 03:06:23 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  problems downloading...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: problems downloading...  (Read 4028 times)

Offline heidi1174

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
problems downloading...
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:48:21 pm »
 :help: hello.. so i have just come back to mx after 6 years having just replaced the pc that was stollen back then.. however im now on windows 10 and i have never had so much trouble.. i have turned off the firewall and everything else i shoud do but i cannot dl files.. all i get is big red telling me file error 5 accsess to c users.. can anybody please help me. xx :S

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: problems downloading...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:30:06 am »
You need to forward your ports and that. We can help you in renegades (a channel she's already in etc) :)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:04 am »
This might be more along the lines of the program not having permission to access the file system, normally fixed by right clicking the exe and selecting  "run as administrator".

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:24:46 am »
niko one of our administrators got her problems solved :)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
Excellent news  :-D

Well done Niko  8) 8)

Offline heidi1174

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06:00 pm »
hello... so mx just uninstalled itself from my pc... ??anybody know why that may have happened.. think im gunna have a breakdown if its all got to be done again  :walk:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:23 am »
use the search function of windows to look for winmx.exe ... chances are its still there but the shortcut is missing

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 12:26:23 pm »
A good tip for folks whom have spent a lot of time setting up their MX the way they like it is to zip a copy of all the settings files (library,settings.dat etc) contained within the winmx folder for fast replacement if theres any corruption or program issues, this saves a lot of time and effort later.

I,ve set up so many winmx versions it now takes about 45 seconds to work through all the basic stuff  and get back on the road but it can be annoying if your new and this happens out of the blue.

At one time an anti virus company made a mess of things and started deleting the winmx.exe but as always when enough of us make noise they stopped their tricks, the problems arise with how programmers use a program called a "packer" or "executable compressor" to make the program smaller and hide how it works from prying eyes, unfortunately virus writers use the same tricks so a lot of packed programs get deleted by accident or lazy AV programming, you choose what you call their efforts.
Lets hope thats not the case here but it's always something to be aware of.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:08 pm »
the settings files (library,settings.dat etc) contained within the winmx folder
call me paranoid but i would (and do) keep backups on a thumb drive in case the original folder is wiped out as well...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:14:39 pm »
call me paranoid but i would (and do) keep backups on a thumb drive in case the original folder is wiped out as well...

What no second backup in a nuclear bunker??? Come on Stripes this is serious :P

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 11:10:12 pm »

What no second backup in a nuclear bunker??? Come on Stripes this is serious :P

:P should have added that it makes it easier to move from machine to machine... copied the settings from an install on wine to a real-hardware windows install and found the 'backup' left on the thumb drive to be quite handy since win10 epic failed on that old netbook (constant shutdown from overheat), switched to win7 and didnt have to dig into wine to get the files again... now im waiting to see how well win7 handles power outages since xp used to make random files disappear till i manually ran chkdsk... so far so good ;)

Offline lakehavasu

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 09:22:46 pm »
Open Nap no incoming connections, I can download no problems. Do I need to port forward using Open Nap?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 10:19:36 pm »
Years since I used Open Nap seem to remember it working if WinMX did, but I tend to run Primary so would have had ports forwarded, I'd say it's worth trying and see if it fixes it.. My memory could be better at this range.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 02:39:08 am »
Beardeds right to say such topics are a bit dusty for many of us  :)

If you are forwarding the ports for OpenNap its only going to need TCP forwarding on your transfer port.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  problems downloading...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx