gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:49:38 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  cannot connect
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: cannot connect  (Read 2018 times)

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
cannot connect
« on: October 30, 2019, 01:54:49 am »
This is about 2 computers:
One running openSuse 15.0
One running openSuse Tumbleweed

On neither computer will WinMX connect. Flashing yellow ONLY.
I have tried reinstalling Winmx, changing ports, making sure ports are forwarded properly, checking my firewall to make sure it is off.
Thinking it might be my internet connection [ISP] I installed WinMX on a Windows 10 computer and it connects just fine.

I have tried to find out some info at Winehq.org, but it seems the Winmx page no longer exists there.

Winmx was working on both these computers prior to updates that occured 10.25.2019. 
The openSuse forums are generally helpful, but on this issue [because it is Winmx] they have declined to help.

Can anyone suggest something that I can try?
Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, opensuse Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.17.0

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: cannot connect
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:40:56 am »
Try an older version of wine in your setup. it seems logical that this might be the solution, if you give that a try Dabud we will know one way or the other  :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 06:45:40 am »
is the .dll override still in effect?

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 12:41:07 pm »
thanks  GhostShip -that will be my next step.

@ White Stripes - I have always used it [dll override], have never seen anything saying it was not necessary.

Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, opensuse Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.17.0

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:47:19 pm »
Did you have a look at this guide?
(yes, the .dll override is still needed and explained there)

https://www.winmxworld.com/help/winmx-wine.html

I know it's a little outdated but on debian sid wimx runs perfectly fine with  winehq-staging 4.0 rc2.
One thing though - make sure you get a 32bit wine, otherwise winmx will not run.
Good luck :walk:
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 11:03:07 pm »
Thank you for helping.

@GhostShip - backed Wine version up to 3.7 from 4.18 as this is what was offered in the opensuse  YAST software manager.
I started it up and it connected right away. Are you running linux and if so, what OS and which version of wine are you running, GhostShip?

@nylly444 - thanks that was the 1st post I read when the problem occurred. Which version of wine are you using nylly444?

Now that this machine is working I would like to try subsequent versions [on my own machine] to maybe find out in which version the problem lies.

Should Wine be notified of this?  How would I notify them?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 12:24:01 am »
I'm not using Linux Dabud sorry  :)

It would be nice if other Linux users added to the community information pool just in case some one else encounters the same problem.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 01:32:38 am »
It would be nice if other Linux users added to the community information pool just in case some one else encounters the same problem.

wine broke on my machine and i didn't feel like fixing it since winmx was the only thing i used it for yet it took so much trouble getting it to run... the glitches in the library UI and the scrolling bug in search and chat were hell... ...i don't really have any input here... i use an old netbook to run winmx and some special printer drivers that are windows only...

i use this; http://tightvnc.net/ to remote control it... it kinda acts like a virtual machine in doing so and allows me to stuff the little machine away...

if the OP has hardware like that - that can be repurposed i suppose i have a 'fix' :P

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 07:40:07 am »
It sounds to me like your a fighter Stripes :yes:   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 04:05:21 am »
As a last note:
As openSuse upgraded Wine I kept trying to get Winmx to connect.
Finally, today, at Wine version 4.19-1062.1 Winmx connected.
I have high hopes that this won't happen for at least a year or two - LOL.
I will be adding this to my check list when things go wrong.
Thanks

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  cannot connect

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx