gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:32:46 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Song Writer Irving Burgie Passes Away
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Song Writer Irving Burgie Passes Away  (Read 954 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Song Writer Irving Burgie Passes Away
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:12:32 pm »
Many of you may know this mans songs but few of you may have heard of him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50619991
US composer Irving Burgie, who helped to popularise Caribbean music with hit songs like Day-O, has died aged 95.
His death was confirmed by Barbados Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, who called for a moment of silence for the man who wrote its national anthem.

Mr Burgie is best known for helping singer Harry Belafonte bring calypso music to the mainstream.
The calypso hit featured in the popular film Beetlejuice and has been sampled by rapper Lil Wayne and singer Jason Derulo.
Brooklyn-born Mr Burgie did not begin pursuing a career in music until he returned from serving in an all-black US Army battalion in World War Two.

He then used the benefits he received as a war veteran to fund his studies at New York's prestigious Juilliard performing arts school and went on to launch a career as a singer and guitarist before moving into writing songs for others.

I like to hear stories like this one where people pursue their dreams and achieve their goals, I cant say I enjoy the Banana boat song but most of us know it and many will sing along to it still within older generations, take care on the next journey Irving  :bow:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Song Writer Irving Burgie Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 04:59:22 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXVHITd1N4

..i dont remember buying this on dvd but the vhs has been watched many times

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Song Writer Irving Burgie Passes Away

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx