gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 03, 2024, 04:32:38 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  pc and winmx crashes/now unable to download
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: pc and winmx crashes/now unable to download  (Read 3128 times)

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
pc and winmx crashes/now unable to download
« on: January 07, 2006, 03:02:12 pm »
I'm running w98, winmx 3.53. last thurday night my pc crashed because of another application-forcing me to -gulp- power off my pc. I was currently in winmx downloading. Since then I have been unable to download any of MY incomplete files. I have been able to d'l new files, but not any that I had started previously. I have re-installed winmx, even installed the w98 ver.1.9 patch from winmxworld. no good. I then de-fraged my hard drive--hoping the files were corrupted--still no good. I can play the files (using avipreview), so I know what's there is OK. The incomplete files appear in my queue as normal, but they never download. I also have not seen any error messages (connection msgs)..so either I"m missing them or there are none. any help is appreciated! thanks. Has winmx just slowed down so much it's taking this long to download files??

innerpeace

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:09:17 am »
I'm sorta new here, but I will try to help.  After reinstalling winmx Do the ques of your old songs appear in red?  if so, you may want to check to see if auto find sources is on, and auto enter que is on.  You can find info on that here https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/winmx_basics.html its a little over halfway down the page under the section labled search (in red).  You can also right click your incomplete file and click on the find sources now.  I hope this helps.

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 03:25:37 am »
thanks, but no that's not the problem. all the files show up in the xfer window OK. right now, most are on the download queue, and appear to be waiting to download from users. afs and aeq is 10/80. it just appears to be going v-e-r-y slow.  I'm dropped down from 30 to 20 in someone's queue, but it took 6-8 hours.  that's VERY unusual, and it's happening to all my 'imcomplete' files.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 04:39:35 am »
From the sound of things I would say that these are just having troubles finding sources.. after all lots of folks are back to work and school right now.

One suggestion I have to ensure that a sudden shut down didnt corrupt the downloads is to trim some from them.  If you have a portion of the file you should be able to right click them and choose 'Trim 10k'  do this about 10 times, then click on find sources and see what happens.  If you find errors or the Trim 10K option is not available on files there is a program that is easy to use to trim them.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/trunk_2005.html

Give those a try and then give us a shout back...

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:54:57 am »
well, not much has changed. I have managed to get an additional 4 or 5mb for one incomplete file, but that's it. I am now having problems with modem disconnects, so winmx can't stay logged on to networks long enough for me to really test it. but I still say, something's different since last week. the fact that I DID get ANY additional data for the one file indicates that my 'imcomplete' files are OK. I will keep you informed.

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:59:40 am »
oh, one additiional item. you mentioned people are back to work and such. I am comparing the performance of winmx over the past 2-3 months. I have always been able to get and download files. I've been using winmx for several years, so I have a pretty good idea of how it's been working. For me, something happened the day my pc and winmx crashed. I've  re-installed, but it just seems that it's not the same. Sounds very un-scientific, but I know how it USED to work.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 03:09:28 pm »
Are the ports you've chosen the same as before?
You might wanna try setting them differently, see if it makes a difference.
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 04:08:28 am »
I just received a message from "a primary" user saying "host change". I asked him what he meant by that, and he said that I should "refresh files refresh connection - run on primary not secondary - go to chat rooms to reconnect". I didn't do anything--wasn't going to do something one user asks me to do. anyone know what the heck he's talking about??

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 04:26:36 am »
Well that wasnt terrible advise,

Basically hes saying refresh your connection if your secondary, maybe you would run better as primary, and that being a member of a room or visiting the rooms sometimes helps you find sources of files you wouldnt normally or get downloads started faster..

That wont exactly fix you but could make things better yes.

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 01:16:31 pm »
thanks. I also downloaded the olepro32.dll and placed in my winmx folder--this I understand, can alleviate some connection problems. since the install, I have been online for 17hrs and I have been able to partially download 2 of my imcomplete files. so far..so good. one thing I just noticed that's happening. say I've been on someones' queue for a long time. I move up to, say number 10. next thing I know, I'm back to 50 on their queue. what can cause this? this could be what's taking me so long to download. Also, I've been number 1 on someone's queue for almost 5hours. anyone have an explanation? thanks!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  pc and winmx crashes/now unable to download

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx