gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 06:15:25 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  WCS - change port, reload bug
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WCS - change port, reload bug  (Read 1506 times)

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
WCS - change port, reload bug
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:33:59 pm »
I:
1] edit config to change room name and the port
2] save config.ini
3] click the [Reload] button on the console

The room name changes, but not the port.

Is a restart required to activate the new port?  Is this a bug?  If so, is it 'easily' fixable?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:18:19 pm »
I,m sure its not a bug Gnarly as winmx works exactly the same way  :)

Yes a restart is required.

KM

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:04:11 am »
it would mean killing the listening socket and restarting it all again, a restart of WCS is the only realistic way to do it, the same is true of nearly all applications that listen for connections.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:39:39 am »
Quote from: KM
it would mean killing the listening socket and restarting it all again, a restart of WCS is the only realistic way to do it, the same is true of nearly all applications that listen for connections.

the auto-update seems to have a restart function already doesn't it?

would it be desirable to add a [Restart] button on the console and/or a /restart command to call it?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:28:26 am »
The difference between the auto-update fuction and the what your suggesting is the timing.

Restarting for update is done before its connected to primaries and you have a room full of people.  You cant restart for the port change settings to take effect without dropping them all, and all your WPN connections anyway.  Button..maybe .. commands to restart would just be silly..

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 05:43:19 am »
Quote from: Me Here
The difference between the auto-update fuction and the what your suggesting is the timing.

Restarting for update is done before its connected to primaries and you have a room full of people.  You cant restart for the port change settings to take effect without dropping them all, and all your WPN connections anyway.  Button..maybe .. commands to restart would just be silly..

I see your point about the potential of dropping a room full of people.  But that was not the scenario i was in when I had this brainfart.  Someone asked if i could temp host their room while they rebooted and installed new software.  I had a standby room running for my own, so agreed to help.  The few peeps that were in my standby room were also parked in my main room.

I edited the config to change the channelname to the other room's, changed the port, then click the [reload] button.  As I first reported, the config reloaded, the roomname changed, but the port did not change and the few in the room did not get dumped [as they would have, as you point out, if the port had changed]  I didn't think abou tthat possibility, but it wouldn't have mattered too much since the regs parked in my standby room were also in my main room.

The reason I wanted a port change for the other channelname was to reduce future confusion.  Keeping the same port for both would allow future joins under either channelname, and some might not know which temp room they were in or might not even know it was a temp.  By changing the port, after I changed back to my standby channelname/port, those who may have added the temp room hash to their favorites would not be able to connect.  They would then search out the has for their normal main room.

I dropped an alternate channelname# months ago, but am noticing on my console that some people are still joining using the old name, even though it hasn't been in the config for a long time.  Only changing the port would stop that.

Not such a biggie though to do a manual restart, as that seems to be the only way to change ports.  I just thought of having a restart command/button because I recall some of the IRC bots I used had these types of commands - and if I recall correctly, one of them was tricky enough to do a 'restart' without dropping current DCC connections.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  WCS - change port, reload bug

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx