gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 05:49:16 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  UDP Problems! Ahhh!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UDP Problems! Ahhh!  (Read 5643 times)

Nystro

UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« on: June 22, 2005, 06:22:22 am »
Ok, I originally had alot of problems, but I managed to figure them out on my own with my brain and the internet. Last thing though... I found that if I setup a static IP then went into my router setup site with my gateway address and forwarded all pertinent ports to my static IP that I could finally get TCP working with WinMX and get a much better connection. The problem now however is UDP should work but doesn't. I thought that by taking the same messures to active UDP ports for WinMX (And I did all common ports... 6699 6257 and some custom ones I use as a backup if the ISP decides to block these) Yet still no UDP. Please tell me what I could be missing.

KM

UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 12:16:15 pm »
a common mistake is to select TCP when forwarding the UDP port, strange as it may seem to me :-D

first check the setting in the router again - just to make sure, then I assume you are using the setup wizard to check the ports? if not then its a good way to do it :-D (settings > setup wizard)

Nystro

Been there done that....
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 05:06:21 pm »
Yeah, I'm the type that checks, checks again, checks just to be sure, check to make sure I am sure, type.... I have it setup for UDP and TCP on all the ports that would be used(After what you would think basically would work didn't work) This way TCP & UDP could be used on either port(Assuming WinMX was set up for it)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:31:21 pm »
Hey Nystro

Yeah, I'm the type that checks, checks again, checks just to be sure, check to make sure I am sure, type....

LMAO.. giggles sounds borderline OCD but this aint the medical forum..

So on to your other problem, if you set your ports on your router for 'Both TCP and UDP on each port,,, it wont work.

WinMX requires that you have a seperate port assigned and used by each..

So just to be sure we are sure that I understand you

Its set like this?
WinMX       6699       TCP          192.168.x.x
WinMX       6257       UDP          192.168.x.x

Let us know what ya got..

Nystro

Ports
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:40:28 pm »
What I meant by setting each port up for TCP & UDP was first I set up TCP for 6699 and UDP for 6257(Amoungst others I have tried) and TCP works fine now but UDP still didn't... So I also tried setting each port up to accept both TCP & UDP (Exp. 6699 TCP, 6257 UDP, 6699 UDP, 6257 TCP) So that either could accept each kind of input. No matter how I go about it though(And I have tried ALOT of different ideas.) for some reason UDP REFUSES to work.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:15:32 am »
Ok Nystro, looks like we need to get a little more info from ya..

Was your WinMX working before you tried setting up the Ports?

What are you forwarding your ports in, ie: router, networking, firewall?

And also who is your ISP?

Would also be helpful to know what brand of router or modem you have if thats where your forwarding, also what Operating system you have. and firewall information too...

Be watching for ya..

:wink:

Nystro

UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:18:38 pm »
>Was your WinMX working before you tried setting up the Ports?

Yes, but not efficiently.

>What are you forwarding your ports in, ie: router, networking, firewall?

My ADSL Modem

>And also who is your ISP?
Frontiernet

>Would also be helpful to know what brand of router or modem you have > if thats where your forwarding, also what Operating system you have. >and firewall information too...

I have the Speedstream 5200 E242

Windows XP Home SP2 Fully updated(always... as with EVERY program on this machine)

I use Nortons Systemworks 2005(and it has been configured to allow the appropriate ports and also to permit all for winmx. I have even disabled it entirely and still no go.)

I am fairly certain my problem is going to be found somewhere in the 5200 E242 setup. I have fully opened it so I have access to all command options and have been testing theories.

BTW... it is a new modem... old one left today because I burned it and my ethernet card out by pushing them past their limits... 400Mbps through 100Mbps card. I did it by bridging my LAN and 1394 together....

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 01:55:35 am »
I agree I think its in the Speedstream set up some where, while looking at this model I checked and as I suspected this one does have a built in firewall, disable the DMZ on it and keep your other firewall on.
As long as your Norton is up to speed you dont need the DMZ enabled, with it disabled you are opeing up all ports for the specified comp on your network, but as I mentioned a good firewall will keep you healthy.

Also, I found that I had to enable and configure my XP firewall for cetain applications to work, including my WinMX, so if disabling the DMZ option doesnt work then give that a try as well..

Disable DMZ for 5200

Configure your XP Firewall

Let me know....

Nystro

Still sinking... :->
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 02:34:35 am »
Well I went to check it, but as I thought from looking before... DMZ is already disabled. I had read somewhere before that even though it isn't enabled, XPFW will still sometimes interfere, so I had already configured it for WinMX as if I were going to use it. You'd be surprised how many dead ends I have been down trying to accomplish this. But I want to say I really appreciate your help and thoughts. If you can think of anything else let me know. I thought it might have something to do with the Static Routes section in the 5200 config, but I don't know much(But I am learning volumes) about networking and I am unfamiliar with "Destination Server". Then I though maybe something to do with the WAN config. Currently PPPoA. But when I tryied to mess with adding a new VC I found it to be something I am going to have to spend some time learning. I configured the NAT to see my Public to private IP. And I am currious what the RIP configuration is for and if that could have something to do with it.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 03:19:53 am »
:(

ok.. will keep thinking...also

You might consider using the forum on the site I gave you, they are not as familiar with the WinMX as we are but they are great with routing..

https://forum.portforward.com/

Nystro

UDP Problems! Ahhh!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 06:22:02 am »
Yeah, I ate their site alive when I started getting into the port forwarding. Helped me alot but then left me wondering why nobody there knew what I was trying to do, or how to do it.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  UDP Problems! Ahhh!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx