gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 29, 2024, 12:32:26 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Upload/Download managers  |  Primaries
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Primaries  (Read 3603 times)

Primary001

Primaries
« on: March 04, 2006, 10:56:12 pm »
Ok, finaly got WinMX to be able to send and receive TCP and UP packets, but have a few questions.

1.  Whats the Benefit of beeing a primary as I only see 3 primarys online and a heap of secondries?
2.  What are the disavantages of being a primary?
3.  Should I be running any addition programs that work with WinMX that will help with my security and those that download of me?

and Yes I am a newb but I also want to keep the shareing alive as I like to try things before buying them to see if I really like them or if they are just a waste of money and space.

KM

Re: Primaries
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 11:10:03 pm »
1. you aren't depending on routing everything through another user, this means search results/channel lists/etc go directly to you instead of going to another user which then slowly sends it down to you - it also means no disconnecting from the network and having to start joining everyones queues again
2. it uses a lot of bandwidth :-)
3. not if using the winmxgroup patch, but if using the pie text file you'll need to install peer guardian at the very least

and btw, i like p2p network for a different reason, not because i want to see if i like something or not before buying it - but because i am too cheap to buy it in the first place so p2p is the only way i'd end up getting it :-)

Galactic Overlord

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 08:23:09 am »
Here Here  KM

as a photographer all the programs I needed for editing ... authoring ... databasing....
all were going to cost me thousands of $ best spent on equipment.....
needless to say P2P came thru.....0:)

Primaries001

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 11:43:28 am »
Is there anyway to access the WinMX groups in other countries without changing the closest area config?  Eg I can only see 5 primaries and no secondries in Australia group, How do I see how many primaries and secondries are in USA or Europe?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 07:20:49 pm »
those regional settings used, theoretically, to make a difference, when frontcode were running the show, in the present patched setup, everyone in the world is addressing the same cache servers, so they no longer do....

However, seeing no secondaries (S=0) always indicates you have some problem blocking ports (firewall, modem/router config or Norton's worm protection being the usual suspects) I would take another close look at your setup.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Upload/Download managers  |  Primaries

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx