gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 07:29:20 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Plz add the video format of 'wmv' to searches
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Plz add the video format of 'wmv' to searches  (Read 3022 times)

laurie

Plz add the video format of 'wmv' to searches
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:09:01 am »
I am writing this in vain, hopefully someone who writes winmx might listen to what I have to say. I am asking that the video format of '.wmv' (WMV) Means Windows Media Video be written into searches for video files for searches on WinMx.Sure Winmx has the compressed format of 'asf' for video searches, but from what I have read, microsoft has actually disconnuted the format of 'asf' & now is promoting the format of 'wmv' because it is so much better. Whenever I am on three otherP@P networks, namely Kazza,limewire & Ares for example, I have people downloading my 'wmv' files all the time. They play no different from the beloved format of ' mpg'. I actualy find that when I convert them from ' MPG' to "WMV' they play much better. Comments please.

KM

Re: Plz add the video format of 'wmv' to searches
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 02:30:15 pm »
the biggest difference with wmv files is the DRM support and the traceability issue, that's why M$ promotes it, they have no control over other formats, but wmv gives them ultimate control over what they allow you to do with your own files, i chose to do what i want to do with something that is mine, not what someone else tells me i am allowed to do with it

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:56:41 pm »
I am writing this in vain, hopefully someone who writes winmx might listen to what I have to say. I am asking that the video format of '.wmv' (WMV) Means Windows Media Video be written into searches for video files for searches on WinMx.Sure Winmx has the compressed format of 'asf' for video searches, but from what I have read, microsoft has actually disconnuted the format of 'asf' & now is promoting the format of 'wmv' because it is so much better. Whenever I am on three otherP@P networks, namely Kazza,limewire & Ares for example, I have people downloading my 'wmv' files all the time. They play no different from the beloved format of ' mpg'. I actualy find that when I convert them from ' MPG' to "WMV' they play much better. Comments please.

1] it appears the authors of winmx have abandoned development due to coercion from corporate controllers of "artistic and intellectual 'property'" - so don't look for fixes or new releases of winmx anytime soon.  They are deep underground polishing off v4.0 and developing a way to release it that is out of range of USA courts and bombs. [tease]

2] microshaft goes to extreme lengths to protect their ill-gotten hoard of 'intellectual property' and is in the lead of developing means to protect corporate claimed rights, with DRM etc.

Why support M$ when they don't support you?  but rather harm you by destroying innovation and independant efforts that are technically superior to what M$ does inhouse.  To say nothing of the spyware they build into their functions to report back your system and software and data profiles.

I would suppose that WMP would play WM* better than mpg formats.  But converting an MPG file to WMV CAN'T improve the quality, only degrade it.  Maybe you should try an alternative player for mpg files.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:07:26 pm »
As Gnarly points out, most Microsoft file formats place information in the file that can be traced back to a particular machine so the trading of these types of file is not advised.

laurie

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 05:20:51 am »
I re-read my sentence that I put in my last post where I said when I converted to mpg to wmv it was better. I Meant to say that when I converted from the format of avi to wmv it was better, not mpg to wmv. I added my first post in hopes that someone might listen to me. I think people are so use to the common format of 'mpg' that they don't know anything else & don 't want to give 'wmv' a chance. I prefer to be on winmx, but I sure feel alot more  usefull as a contibutor on three other P2P networks because people can download my "wmv' files from me all the time. Please add 'wmv' to format searches for video files.I see on for example kazaa, multiple users for a video I know that I created because of video splitting software i have that I know they wouldn't have unless I gave it to them in the first place.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:44:58 am »
If you're REALLY desparate to share these, change the extension to mpg or similar.. media player will still play them, it'll just bitch that the file extension doesn't match the file format...  & anyone who knows what they're about, having downloaded them, will be able to determine the actual type to correct the extension & play them without spurious messages. (Hint appending the false extension will give a huge clue <filename>.wmv.mpg)
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 11:18:26 am »
Laurie we are not telling you to not share the files, Bearded's fix is a great idea, what we have been telling you is why the makers of WinMx originally DID NOT include this file type, So we have no choice but to explain how it can be done now, and you seem to have missed this tidbit mentioned also:

Gnarly Snarly wrote:
1] it appears the authors of winmx have abandoned development due to coercion from corporate controllers of "artistic and intellectual 'property'" - so don't look for fixes or new releases of winmx anytime soon.  They are deep underground polishing off v4.0 and developing a way to release it that is out of range of USA courts and bombs. [tease]

The makers of WinMx are not developing it, we here are only offering you a patch for the connection, WinMx is as it was last touched by the true owners/developers..

I dont suspect we shall see any changes in how MX is made by them...

laurie

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:54:08 am »
Thank you both for responing to me. I tried what Bearded Blunder said about making the file extension say 'wmv.mpg'. Well that didn't work. I immediadtley got an error message on my PC about changing formats. (I run windows millenium if that is of any relevance).

KM

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:00:05 pm »
that's not an error, it's asking "are you sure? programs might not know it's a wmv file if you rename it...", just click yes and it'll rename - it's there to stop you accidentally renaming a file and changing the extension and then getting confused if you can't open it

laurie

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 06:53:14 am »
I tried renaming to'.mpg', now all I have is a file that doesn't even have the windows media video symbol in front of it. I am un-installing win-mx. I want to be on networks that will accept & appreciate what I have to share. Not just because they are in the god damn beloved format of mpg. I am proud of all of my wmv files & am not going to change them to mpg, because they play just as good as mpg. ADIOS WINMX!!!

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 07:09:02 am »
Thats a very sad attitude Lauire, the folks here have given you sound advice, it matters not weather you like the format or not, only that the format aids MS and others to track your files and your personal info, if that is what you want, good luck to you, if its not re think, re read whats been said to help you.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 09:09:58 am »
I tried renaming to'.mpg', now all I have is a file that doesn't even have the windows media video symbol in front of it. I am un-installing win-mx. I want to be on networks that will accept & appreciate what I have to share. Not just because they are in the god damn beloved format of mpg. I am proud of all of my wmv files & am not going to change them to mpg, because they play just as good as mpg. ADIOS WINMX!!!

and for sharing why does your choice of the 'symbol' matter?  That's a personal choice.  It is based on what application on YOUR computer you register to handle files with a specific filename extension.  If you want to see the WMP icon displayed, then merely assign WMP to handle .mpg files.

When others download the .wmv.mpg files from you, the icon they see next to the file could be different than what you see.  It is controlled on their computer by what program THEY choose to play .mpg files on their computer.  If they choose to edit the filename back to *.wmv, then the icon they see will be for whatever program THEY choose to use to play .wmv files on their computer by default.

The main .wmv/.wma caveat remains.  If you created the wmv files, just be aware that your 'fingerprints' are embedded in the file.  It can be traced back to your computer.  If you are creating such files from copyrighted sources without legal exception or authorization, you are producing a trail of forensic evidence that may one day come back to haunt you.  If you want to create and release files more anonymously, use a format different from microsoft's wmv/wma.

Offline The Colourful Jester

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 03:56:33 pm »
Hi there

Just to check something. I use XP, and want to change WMV to mpg. I merely go to rename and add .mpg at the end of the filename, but it doesn't work. Am I being too simple about this?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 04:49:52 pm »
well if you actually want to change format yes Jester, changing name won't fundamentally change the file itself, it'll still be encoded as wmv, you need a program to re encode it, there are such programs, i'm sure one of the people who know more about video than me will suggest one
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 08:42:37 am »
You can add new extensions in Settings>Library>New extension. Shouldn't you then be abe to search and share .wmv files?
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Neutron

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 02:04:40 pm »
You can add new extensions in Settings>Library>New extension. Shouldn't you then be abe to search and share .wmv files?

You can share them and download them, what she means is to add .wmv files "Video" in the file types for search.
You will only get .avi, .asf, .mpg and .mpeg files if you use "Video" when you search, so you need to rename the files to one of these extentions for others to find them in their searches.
Problem is just that frontcode said good bye, and no one has the source for WinMX, so no one can modify WinMX and add other extentions.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 05:51:12 am »
Then what's the problem. I mean you can share and download wmv files. What more do you want ? You just have to take that extra trouble to click and choose the format. That's not much of a trouble.
Patch link :

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 10:57:14 am »
what she means is to add .wmv files "Video" in the file types for search.

In the Settings>Library, if you click video and then click Edit, then you can add more extensions to video.

:!:In my case it was Video (.asf .avi .mpg .mpeg)
I changed it to :
Video (.asf .avi .mpg .mpeg .wmv):!:

That should allow you to search .wmv files I presume. I didn't get any results though. I presume it was because not many people may be sharing .wmv files. Do tell me to search for something that will yeild .wmv files. I'll try it out and see if it works. I couldn't think of what to search that will give me .wmv files. Or more likely is that i am wrong about this thing. :lol:
Patch link :

KM

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 05:12:39 pm »
that is just for sharing them, when a search goes out it only contains a type, not the extensions - the extensions to search for are fixed in winmx

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 05:59:46 pm »
Then what exactly is the use of allding more extensions. Does it mean that one will be able to access those files only if you browse that person  who has added those extensions?
Patch link :

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Plz add the video format of 'wmv' to searches

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx