gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 03:29:52 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  Accessing a wcs Chatroom through router
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Accessing a wcs Chatroom through router  (Read 3736 times)

OGrouch777

Accessing a wcs Chatroom through router
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:53:57 pm »
Here is my problem. I am co-host of a room and need to host for the next few weeks. I have a D-link router, cable modem and 4 computers hooked to the router. 2 are the kids who surf the net, 1 is mine and then I have the spare. I want to run the room on wcs on the spare computer but be able to access the room from my main one. So far I have been able to host a room on both the main and spare but cannot access either room from the other computer. My cable company assures me I don't need another modem to do this and yet so far I cannot get in. If I open the room on one computer and then connect to Winmx on primary on the other I cant even pull up the room name in the channellist. If I connect as secondary I can see the room but cannot get in. When someone else outside the home hosts the room I can get in on primary and have one of the other computers in the room which was on a secondary connection. Can anyone help me? Can it even be done? The main computer is running Xp and the spare is running Windows Me..

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Accessing a wcs Chatroom through router
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:45:36 pm »
Have you set port forwarding correctly in your router? Unless the room has port forwarded for wcs or whatever chatserver you use, you won't see it listed & people won't be able to enter, also make sure that you set wcs to use a port NOT in use by winmx or any other program running on your LAN. also occasionally people will find their router blocks them from connecting to themselves using their public ip. you can get around this by using a loopback join (room hash based on 127.0.0.1) if you are trying to get in from the same pc as wcs runs on.. or you can calculate what the roomnumbers would be for the LAN ip you are hosting from & use those instead of the roomlisting, however, as you say the room doesn't list, i suspect you havn't forwarded a port for WCS or a firewall or similar has it blocked
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

KM

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:20:18 am »
try entering with the LAN IP of the other computer to join manually, RoomName_192.168.0.123:3 (assuming the default port of 3) - i assume others can enter the room in which case it's likely a bug with the router looping back the connections (many have problems doing that) so joining over the LAN should work

OGrouch777

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:35:39 am »
KM thank you so much. The ip address worked. I can now host on the old computer and access the room up front. I am soooooo happy..... Thank You Thank You Thank You

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 04:53:19 am »
* Bearded Blunder didn't know WinMX would accept RoomName_IP:Port thought that was a RobMX thing  :oops:

learn something new every day... :)

KM

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 12:51:47 pm »
where do you think he copied that from? :-P

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
* Bearded Blunder was still using 3.31 for some time AFTER RoboMX came out, & was one of the last holdouts hosting on 3.31 & RCMS

xindi

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 03:50:14 pm »
very interesting read i have i believe the same issue
I host fxs on my main pc no probs at all and everyone can enter, BUT
my laptop which is on wireless via the dreaded router lol cannot and will not enter my hosted room
fxs is of course ported otherwise i would have other issues,
plz help am i getting this right
for example
my room addy is !Radio{rMx}32853976AC1A28
so for main pc to get in room i use the loopback
ie !Radio{rMx}0100007F1A28 no probs BUT
this does not work for my laptop
ive also tried
!Radio{rMx}192.168.0.1:1A28
IVE GOT THIS WRONG I TAKE IT HELP ME PLZ IM STUMPED PROPER LOL
Ive got near to thinking it does not work

xindi

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 03:55:41 pm »
ok update on what i just posted as i see what i did wrong
the port number in fxs configs is set to 6696 which is ported so i believe in my laptop i should be using:
!Radio{rMx}_192.168.0.1:6696 but nothing still
<roomname><routerIp><port> 
is that correct???

thx

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 05:36:12 pm »
That should work provided the address (local) of your main pc on your network is 192.168.0.1, it needs to be the local address of the hosting pc, rather than that of the router, also it's possible your firewall may be set to allow fxs incoming connections from the internet (obviously it is, or nobody would get in) but check it's ALSO set to allow connections from the local network, as using this method you'll appear to be local rather than internet traffic.

xindi

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 08:44:36 pm »
Got it, yes everythin CAN be done lol
thx for yr help,
would you believe after staring at it for so long i missed the . was not a :   lmao
working great.
as always great help in here , most helpful all the time, thanks :)))))

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  Accessing a wcs Chatroom through router

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx