gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 12:37:14 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Update on latest news on WinMX
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Update on latest news on WinMX  (Read 987 times)

Lovepeaceguru

Update on latest news on WinMX
« on: April 28, 2006, 03:00:09 pm »
From reading this and other forums (fora?) I have picked up the latest on WinMX and the great copyright owners etc.   Can I ask if someone who is closer to the centre of teh universe than me can update us who orbit in ythe further regions?

I understand that WinMX, the original authors, have been bullied intosubmission and it is unlikely there will ever be another update except perhaps from some new alliance.  Also there seems to be some dispute whether the latest beta version is the best to use or whether it woudl be better to revert to an earlier version.  I have experiemented with both but don't see a great difference.

Can someobody update me with the latest?  I'd be so grateful!

Lovepeaceguru

Re: Update on latest news on WinMX
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:02:35 pm »
And what's this about flooders? Are the RIAA et al running annew campaign?  Has something changed in their tactics?  Why are we now advised to d/l Peerguardian whereas before the beta version was supposed to do it all?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:52:31 pm »
Situation is Frontcode (original authors) have withdrawn from the game under threat of litigation if they didn't, so there will indeed be no further updates from them.

The RIAA are running a campaign of flooding fake search results onto the network to piss users off, this was happening BEFORE Frontcode withdrew & continues.

The situation vis-a-viz versions is it's entirely your choice if you use 3.53 (the final public release by frontcode or 3.54 which was in beta testing at the time, & being relatively bug free, was close to public release, but has greatly improved library function.

The question of using PG2 boils down to choice of PATCH rather than version, if you use the .dll patch from www.winmxgroup.com it isn't needed, if you use a hosts file (typically from Pie team) then it IS, in order to block the RIAA from connecting & flooding through YOUR connection, to the detriment of everyone.. & the stability of your own connection.

In EITHER case, searches should be being made with -user in the second search field, to prevent you getting flooded results in your own searches, from users who AREN'T using the dll or PG2.

I've tried to be clear here, but if this is confusing, by all means ask for clarification.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Lovepeaceguru

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 11:33:41 pm »
Thank you "oh bearded one"  I sport a closely shorn goatee myself.  Beautifully and elegantly explained.!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Update on latest news on WinMX

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx