gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 08:29:45 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  HijackThis logfile question...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HijackThis logfile question...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline badatti2d

• Forum Member
  • I'm a stinker, I am (wink)
HijackThis logfile question...
« on: May 20, 2006, 11:50:45 am »
I have run HijackThis a couple of times, as a normal part of my security scanning routine...each time, I have been told that I should 'fix' the line:   "  O1 - Hosts: 212.227.64.159 www.winmx.com  "
I won't take your time, or the space, to post the entire saved HijackThis logfile, but I really would like to know, before I fix this line (or delete it, which is probably the more correct term), will it affect my ability to use WinMx?   All anyone will tell me is that it is ''a Nasty, and should be removed''; not sure if these are people who have a problem with p2p program users, or if it is a genuine risk.  Could someone please help me with an answer?
Also, I have noticed a lot of members who post in here have little pictures that appear with their name on each of their posts, and I was wondering how this is done, and if they can be added automatically....
~~Bill
~~Bill
Compaq Presario Desktop PC
Windows XP, sp2
AMD Sempron 3100+
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
512 MB RAM
Usable Hard Disk Capacity: 160 GB
Security: AntiVir, SpyBot S&D, AdAware, Ewido
winMx v. 3.53 w/patch

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: HijackThis logfile question...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
Hi Bad,

Post me the entire line your getting on the hijackthis log please.. but preliminary advice.. do not delete it no..

The problem we faced when WinMX shut down its peer caches was how to lie to the WinMx.exe and make it think its supposed to go to the new ones to get you connected to the Network... as I am sure you can imagine both methods created to do this are similar to those that a virus or trojan might employ.  So its often alerting antivirus and spayware type of programs as a problem. Hijackthis is one of my favorite tools also, but as you know it doesnt discriminate right from wrong and leaves that up to you.  What your seeing on yours is completely harmless and normal in most instances and this is why I'd like to see the entire line from your log.

You can add an 'Avatar' = little picture, from your profile.  Click the profile button up top here and the site will take you to yours, there you will see an option to add one from your machine or from a url of ones you may fine in cyberspace.. i advise you download a few you like and then upload them here from your machine.  They have to be equal to or less then 100 x 100 pixels to fit. 

Have fun ..

Offline badatti2d

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 12:18:59 pm »
Not sure what  you mean by posting the entire line, but what I included in the post was the entire line in question, copied/pasted from the logfile:  O1 - Hosts: 212.227.64.159 www.winmx.com
~~Bill
Windows XP, sp2
AMD Sempron 3100+
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
512 MB RAM
winMx v. 3.53 w/patch

Offline badatti2d

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 12:25:49 pm »
Oh, and thanks to you, I went to my Profile page, and was able to determine that I was showing myself as female instead of male -- wow.  Glad I changed that....  :shock:
~~Bill
Windows XP, sp2
AMD Sempron 3100+
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
512 MB RAM
winMx v. 3.53 w/patch

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 12:27:42 pm »
If I remember right this line gets put in by the patch from www.winmxgroup.com so you can see the text in your information bar in winmx3.53. It's definitely no problem to delete, it was just put there to have a means to inform people using that patch with 3.53 when there's a new patch etc.
On the other hand it won't do no harm either, you hosts file got "hijacked" for a good reason here ;)
It's your decision of course - in case you delete and want it back later you can just reapply the patch I guess...
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline badatti2d

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:40:22 pm »
Thanks....I think, for the purposes of safety, I will leave it...I put that particular line on the 'ignore' list in HijackThis, so it won't show again....   hope I did the right thing....  ha ha
~~Bill
Windows XP, sp2
AMD Sempron 3100+
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
512 MB RAM
winMx v. 3.53 w/patch

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  HijackThis logfile question...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx