gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:05:11 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Why is quick mx there?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Why is quick mx there?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Why is quick mx there?
« on: June 04, 2006, 06:06:34 am »
Many people here don't like Quick mx because it harms the network. I feel tempted  to use it too, but don't do so for the benifit of the network. But since we don't want users to use it, we could add a link to why not to use it on the help page (or wherever it is deemed correct).  :?

Now straight to the point... If we don't want it and it is harmful, why is it there on the archive section of the site?  :shock: I know there may be some reason... Please tell me why. I can't figure that part out, as to why it is here. :( :( :( :(
Comments.......

Cheers
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Why is quick mx there?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 06:15:40 am »
The simple answer is that its an old version that will no longer work.
I have the up to date versions but those are not in the archive and neither are many other tools that are known to cause damage or potential harm

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:24:08 am »
A new version of winmx will not work with a old version of quickmx but an old verion of Winmx will....
Patch link :

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 08:36:11 am »
A new version of winmx will not work with a old version of quickmx but an old verion of Winmx will....

yep.  I see lots of people who refuse to update from v3.31, just so they can keep abusing with quick-mx

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 08:38:33 am »
You are correct.

I did a small bit of thinking when the issue first arose and made the decision that due to the rather small (relatively speaking ) amount of clients using "ye ancient winmxe" versions and the fact that many of them already had such tools to hand  being on the network way before I even arrived here and the fact that it was still available on some italian sites I should just hide it in the archives.

I hope folks dont read your pointing it out here in a public place as a cue to try to use it, those folks can reinstall mx I hope  :lol:

I would like to point out to those who may be a bit dense here that trying such a thing on a flooded file is going to cause serious usage problems for your connection, ie : you wont have one.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 10:30:26 am »
* Bearded Blunder misses when he didn't know QuickMX was a bad thing & restrains himself for the benefit of others
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 04:22:11 pm »
Better late than never. AND better safe than sorry.

Can't you remove quickmx ...... I mean from this site....

The way I see it, it's userbase is only going to increase and not decrease. If they have it on Italian sites, let people find the site and then try to understand what it is. My hope is on the fact that many people who use winmx will not know Italian. So why have it here? Many people DO know English....

I must also point out, we have old versions of winmx here too, so.........

I am presuming you understand what I am thinking from these lines, It's like hiding the cat in a transparent bag, it doesn't need to come out.
Patch link :

KM

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 04:26:51 pm »
Generally if someone is looking for something in the archive, they probably know what it is and what it does and they want it for some twisted reason, in which case removing it from the archive wouldn't help - if they want it they can find it elsewhere

if someone isn't specifically trying to find something, chances are they wouldn't be looking for it in the archive

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:37:42 pm »
But is that any reason to lead the wolves to the sheep?
Patch link :

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 05:55:43 pm »
Perhaps you should ask yourself that ?

Most posters are aware that its entirely my decision of what goes or stays in the archive section and I personally think your stretching the envelopa a lot thinking folks are going to be using ancient winmx versions just to get flooded.

The flooders will hit anyone trying to run this sort of tool and then the lesson will be learned I hope, that and the fact folks can still get it from the network itself means I am not holding a monopoly on it, its an old version and is redundant, anything can be abused but I trust all users to have respect for their fellows.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 06:43:04 pm »
that its entirely my decision of what goes or stays in the archive section

I can never question that. If you feel that any of my words implied that or disputed that, I am sorry. I never meant anything of that sort.
When I saw quickmx in the archive I thought that is was funny that it was there when many don't want it. So I asked it here. I know that you know better that what is good for winmx and the site.
What I felt that people do anything for downloads, rampent leeching is evidence of that. So running a slightly older version won't be much as long as they may get more search results.

I think quickmx runs on 3.31 and 3.53. That is not exactly old. And, quick mx runs on 3.53 (correct me here if I am wrong), as that was the last officially released version of winmx.
Patch link :

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 07:23:36 pm »
the version in the archive won't run on 3.53.. but hey, let's all make a really active thread & draw as much attention as possible to it's existance

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 10:27:40 pm »
Unfortunately I feel that Bearded is right, this thread is turning into an advert for this old tool and a reference on what versions it works with, hardly helping anyone.

Action will be taken to withdraw the file for a indetermined period,  (thats a polite way of saying tilll folks stop posting about it ).

httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/QuickMx/

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 04:06:08 am »
I feel bad, that i have a version called "*******" that is for 3.53 & 3.54 lol

[Edit By Ghostship]  Sorry Josh I think its better folks dont have that information, please post responsibly.
- Josh

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 05:10:55 am »
* Bearded Blunder wathces everyone google that

ty Josh.. so very bright to advertise it  :!:

KM

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 05:46:20 am »
anyone else want to give a complete list of every single program they can possibly think of that floods searches? might as well include download URLs just to make sure people don't use them...

* KM shakes his head and walks off

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Why is quick mx there?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx