gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 11:41:08 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  WinMXGroup Beta Patch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMXGroup Beta Patch  (Read 22739 times)

syprogyra

Re: WinMXGroup Beta Patch
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2006, 05:01:13 pm »
one of tjhe reasons for timeouts might be that winmx 3.54 beta 4 no longer propogates a name change to connected users.. the old one did. So, if you are in a queue waiting for a download and they are uploading from you, then they change their name, you dont see their new name  and the next probe for q position tries to connect to the old name which the server no longer knows (a whois would show either no response or changed hosts or gone offline).

the old system used to propgate this so a queue of things waiting would have their names automatically change. so a brief offline would not cause the whole lot to get lost.

this change of name has always been quite irritating as you do tend to lose q position, especially (as i am) on a flakey network connection.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2006, 07:35:10 pm »
No in my case, they don't change names, they just timeout. A few cases here and there won't even be noticed, but when's it all of them, that's a trouble, although I must confess, the patch is seeming ok for the past few days. But not the days before them.....
*crosses his fingers and hopes for the best

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

syprogyra

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2006, 11:59:08 pm »
hi two other things ive noticed that may partially explain timeouts.

1. When trying to connect to a site that is either very slow or unresponsive, perhaps due to the network being clogged, it seems to hang other connections and transfers. this might suggest that there is a blocking socket in the code somewhere.

2. if you download a browse list from someone or they upload one from you. this often causes a similar effect. this is particularly noticeable if a user has a large list of files.

KM

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2006, 12:19:00 am »
it does seem to be mostly when opennap is connecting that it does it, which would be whilst the shared files are being uploaded... however I have no clue at all why

I went back to 3.0's source and re-added uPnP and it seems fine, but of course no fast list and no update bar, and i'm nore sure the best ways to put those in again without just causing the same problems

syprogyra

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2006, 09:12:55 am »
hi, downloaded the install-3.54 beta 4 from www.winmxgroup.com and installed it. it works but does not give me the 'advanced settings' pane mentioned in earlier posts (I need the uPnP support).. is this the right place to look for the latest test version?

otherwise, do i need to do anything to get this new screen to appear?

thanks

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2006, 10:24:45 am »
https://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-3.1-MultiVer.exe

That's the correct link, the beta patch has not been released because oof the opennap bug

Patch link :

syprogyra

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2006, 02:05:23 pm »
winmx is quite bad at dealing with requeueing on a network interruption. would it be possible for the beta to include better handling of this?

for example, im in the q at position 100, and gradually work my way up to 1. the network drops for a while. when it comes back, and ive eventually found the same user again, my reconnect puts me back at position 100 again as the server has forgotten my previous q position (ive timed out). for users with long q s (and that's getting worse as more and more people put more and more stuff on), tryingin to download with a flakey network connection is next to impossible unless you sit there all day pressing retry as necessary. you just go through an endless q, drop out, re-q cycle never reaching the top.

i would suggest at least 2 things:
  1. make the server remember a user for a lot longer, maybe make it configurable (the server has to timeout eventually of course or it would get clogged but the current 10 mins or so is useless). unfortunately, networks do break or get clogged outside of the control of either user and it seems to be getting worse lately.

2. make the client end retry a bit more vigourously on a failure to connect. particularly during the refresh q position checks and the eventual connect for download.  in essence, these should not just give up on the first failure and drop out of the queue but either retry a lot more or stay in the queue and retry a bit later. Again, retry stuff should probably be configurable with minimum settings to avoid users mucking it up.

ANother thing that interferes with downloads is mxmoni. this is somewhat too aggressive at blocking. maybe winmx should contain a milder form of leech blocking which doesnt do the same level of damage as mxmoni, including notifying a user why they've been blocked (which mxmmoni does not do). personally, i dont use mxmoni and think winmx facilities are perfectly adequate at controlling multiple downloads but i know others disagree.

ive always thought some kind of multiple q arrangement would be good where you get placed in one of several queues depending on criteria. For instance, you could have 1 que for all small files, 1 q for 'friends' who want your stuff, and another for all other requests, each with different concurrency and bandwidth limits. anyhow just a thought for the future.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2006, 04:32:15 pm »
I have the best suggestion...
Find someone who has the source code of winmx and tell them that
:lol:

Patch link :

hunted

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2006, 06:27:32 pm »
... someone with the source code??

I thought that was KM, who reads things here. Or is that incorrect?

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2006, 06:45:59 pm »
The source code for winmx was never released.
Thus far, no one has ever seen it ecxeppt those who made it.

Patch link :

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2006, 06:31:40 am »
Dam hehe Scyre man its been like 3 years ived seen u anywheres , and u too Km been ages i seen ya and the rest of the gang , well keep on the best things like u usualy do man , im talking about the good old people that made this possible , and i mean not the newbies that are all sucking up to km on here these days lol  ,

you know who u are the old folks [Mx Gods ], and since the p2p attack on mx seems that ived lost contact with more of ya hehe , cheers  

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2006, 04:49:36 pm »
We are all still around lol

Everyone is just everywhere most of the time...

Not sure who you are, just says 'guest', but thank you for the pat on the back! I appreciate it :)

Best Regards, and Be Good!
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Evil Hatch

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2006, 06:30:12 pm »
"" Evil Hatch '' Aka one of your old Admin from your room
That is the last name i remember being on There

Good to see yall still on things  :)

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2006, 01:18:08 pm »
Wow it HAS been a long time :) Hope things are going well for you! Hopefully the days of losing contact with everyone are over.
We are all trying to rebuild the community more solid than ever, and it has grown a LOT in the last year. I hope that we are all around for a very long time lol

It is good to hear from you! :) :)
Let everyone you are still in contact with know that we are still here, and if any have left tell them "COME BACK!" lol

Be Good!
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  WinMXGroup Beta Patch

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx