gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:04:46 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  About WCS 2...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: About WCS 2...  (Read 2147 times)

Offline String

• Core
    • winmx.p2pforum.it
About WCS 2...
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »
KM, i don't know whether you are now at work or sleeping... but hoping that you are not asleep,
please read this:

1) Do you plan to release the source code for the WCS Unix version some day ? Lol, i'm just joking... I know
in advance you answer.

1*) What about getting rid of the config.ini and adding instead a scripting engine to WCS ?
Say a LUA extension... By this way the WCS host could use some script and an API interface provided by WCS
which to me seems something more powerful than a config.ini is...
I saw this in a couple of programs... a DC hub server program if i'm not wrong...
Maybe nobody will be able to write down extensions for the WCS Server, but this will at least give host the feeling
to have something to play with, the reason FXS is now getting more popular...being more configurable than WCS.

I'm just thinking about a chat server programmable, not only configurable...

Cheers.. :)

Faithless_Sniper

Re: About WCS 2...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:11:34 pm »
String i like your idea i would also like to see a console where i can configure WCS simular to FXServ. Please KM i am asking nicely.

Hopefuly KM Santa will bring me this early lol.

KM

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:25:17 pm »
I had actually considered an idea for having a lot of the chat server functions moved outside of the server itself in to some form of scripting language so you could edit the scripts (for example on renames execute certain things, which includes sending the rename notification to users - edit the script and you could remove that notification, or whatever else you wanted), however it is extremely complicated to make a scripting language, and eventually that idea got dropped...

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:36:39 pm »
well can you try the ideas that me and String have sugested please KM

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:43:19 pm »
KM just needs some motovation :D

everyone buy 10 bottles of vodka and 10 pounds of chocolate and ask him to undrop the scripting idea :D
- Josh

Offline String

• Core
    • winmx.p2pforum.it
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 10:52:02 pm »
Yeah, we could also add that Josh will have his hands dirty with the hard work !

http://www.ptokax.org/
This is the DC hub i was talking about in my previous post. It's a C++ application with LUA scripting engine. There a already a lot of script for it. I think it's just what WCS should look like...IMHO

www.lua.org
This is the right place where to start looking for a C++ embeddable scripting language.

Anyway it's not that easy (even with Josh coding thousands lines, Lol)...

Cheers

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:39:01 pm »
If no one minds i will say that Josh's post did not look like a serious one. One thing i know through asking KM directly for WCS updates and ideas is that one way or another KM is busy, i do not mean in a ignorant way what i mean is KM is always working on some WinMX resource ie WCS, WinMXworld, WPN Caches etc.

I understand that most of us would like to see KM add some Scripting Engine to WCS but we have stated what we would like and thats about all we can do. If there are any other Programmers that have read this post why not try and make one yourself and let us test it and that way maybe something can be done.

KM

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:36:57 am »
as mentioned, a scripting engine isn't exactly a simple thing to add to a program... for a start it's extremely complicated in the first place, and secondly trying to get it properly done for interfacing with the server...

i did see one potential way to be able to do it, but that turned out to be a dead end, so i gave up on it (although if i have a sudden idea some time on how to make it work it will be done...)

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 12:44:52 am »
I agree with what you are saying KM this kind of thing is not meant to be simple but all i meant by my posts earlier was could you try. The answer to that is i have tried Quick_Slide and failed but i am still thinking of ways to acheive this.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  About WCS 2...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx