gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 06:32:03 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  OpenNap Help  |  OpenNap  |  Duplicate Upload Que Problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Duplicate Upload Que Problem  (Read 7654 times)

brokenbones

Duplicate Upload Que Problem
« on: August 16, 2006, 05:09:09 pm »
Almost every upload request has been doubled recently.  In other words, upload queues have been coming in pairs ... each pair by the same user requesting the same file.  Consequently, the que list is twice as long as it should be.   Has anyone experienced this problem?

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: Duplicate Upload Que Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 06:50:46 pm »
That does happen when you connect to multiple opennap servers. The same user in two different servers is a different user to winmx. So winmx queues him up twice. So you see a longer queue list. This does happen frequently. The thing is, you cannot multisource download in opennap. So users queue up thinking they will download faster when, they end up with two or more copies of the same files.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

broken bones

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:59:17 pm »
Thanks SamSeeSam.  So there is really nothing I can do on my end, I guess.  I changed my upload queue to one per user.  That way, the same user won't be able to download the same file twice...

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:15:39 pm »
:lol: winmx considers them as different users.

eg:
I want to download a file from you.
Both of us are connected to the same set of three servers say A,B,C
So winmx, I guess, considers me as not one user.
Winmx thinks:
samseesam A
samseesam B
samseesam C
are three different users. So when I try to download from you from three different servers, I will download the file three times :) <<<< that's the point.
So I will have have three download and you will have three upload from me of the same file. People don't realise that and they try to queue up from different servers and they end up download the same file more number of times.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 09:53:03 pm »
This can also happen with winmx 3.54 where it's possible to share your files twice, it might be worth you setting your share up again, or rechecking the settings, a giude to sharing on 3.54 can be found here
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:08:31 am »
Sam hit that nail squarely on the head. Users do a search, winmx returns search results from ALL the networks and servers that give results. However, many users on opennap will connect to many differant networks (which increases search results thus increasing your chances of finding what your looking for) as a result, you will see search results that are actually duplicates from the differant networks. Now, an old naphead who's used opennap for years knows this and will not only look at the filenames, they will ALSO pay attention to the user names as well. Why? beacuse they know that some people can get upset and perhaps even mad when a user ques the same file multiple times from differant networks. Some will simply add you to their ignore list as this is considered quite rude behaviour! After all, how many copies of the same file do you really NEED anyway? I've come to realize that this common misunderstanding can actually be blamed on winmx! The way the winmx network handles searches and downloads and the multi-sourcing has made it SO easy for the users to simply click on a file and forget it (they dont end up with multiple copies or anything like that) has sort of "conditioned" the users to never have a reason to ever worry about or even pay attention to the source! Winmx does all the work for them in this respect. Opennap servers however operate in a differant manner and one must learn the proper ettiquite expected. Is there a little more work involved? Hell yes! Is it worth it? That is a question that each user must answer for themselves. For the ability to download rare or hard to find files, I personally feel that its worth it. If you however dont want to take the time to learn opennap ettiquitte and simply wish to download the latest flo rida, taylor swift or kanye west, I'd just stick with wpn and dont bother with opennap. I hope this information helps someone!

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:13:54 am »
What would be positively useful in such circumstances is a method of removing identical results that only differ in terms of the originating server, as if the duplicate results could be made to disappear leaving only the initial result I think both WinMX users and OpenNap users would both benefit and etiquette and feathers would not be ruffled by what is in essence a well known annoyance to both sets of users.

Perhaps this is a project someone may be able to work on.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:52:59 pm »
Oh man! That would ROCK!
If I were a software developer, I would have already offered to begin work on such a project.
However, I am simply a humble yet experienced user of filesharing software. (clients and servers both)
I do think that any work done in this area will most likely have to be done on the client (winmx) end.
What I mean is that it would be much easier to get winmx world users to appy a fix or patch and pretty much impossible to get slavanap and opennap operators to all change their servers for just 1 client.
If somehow winmx's search results display could be altered to display opennap duplicate results in the same manner
as WPN does, (with the + sign) I think that'd be friggin awesome!
Alas, I am not qualified for such an endeavour......Anyone? A software developer for my kingdom!  lol

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:55 pm »
I,ll do some background research on this to hand over to any coders that dont know whats involved but want to help. maybe something will be possible once the scope of whats needed is visible to them.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  OpenNap Help  |  OpenNap  |  Duplicate Upload Que Problem

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx