gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 12:48:48 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  Avast: "Adware Was Found!"
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Avast: "Adware Was Found!"  (Read 3450 times)

zii

Avast: "Adware Was Found!"
« on: November 02, 2006, 04:15:08 am »
Just installed winmx_Install-3.0-3.54b4.exe (downloaded from winmxgroup.com) and then I got a warning from Avast! Antivirus (with up-to-date virus definitions) that it had found "Win32:Adware-gen" in WinMX.exe...

Just to be sure, I've also checked with the online scanners from TrendMicro, Symantec, Panda and Kaspersky. None of them found anything suspicious in the WinMX dir, so I think it's safe to assume that Avast! just came up with a false positive.

Just wanted to inform you about the problem...

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: Avast: "Adware Was Found!"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:33:02 am »
Yes someone did tell about it. It's a false positive. Just ignore it and forget about it :)

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 07:04:55 am »
the "No Action" button is the one you want, followed by finding the option to make it ignore winmx
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:15:16 am »
Has anyone else seen that particular one before ?

I,m glad at least that we have asked folks not to copy or host the files from winmxgroup themselves as it becomes easier to rule out third party tampering.

No doubt this wont be the last time we see a program false flagged but its helpful to the programmer to hear from folks what the detection programs are triggering off of , its normally been the open source installer that most folks use, remember folks we would like to hear any reports like this so we can contact the av companies and avoid worrying folks.

Cheers to Zil for this report and taking the time to make a pic  8)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  Avast: "Adware Was Found!"

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx