gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 10, 2024, 09:20:49 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  only mp3 ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: only mp3 ?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline geordief

• Forum Member
only mp3 ?
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:35:27 am »
Is it not possible to share other files than just mp3?I see that my wma files don't register in the liibrary.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: only mp3 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:21:40 am »
Sharing files other than the defaults can be done. You need to add the extensions to Settings>Library and you are done.
But I will strongly recommend that you convert them to Mp3 as wma encodes information about your computer and the file can be traced back to you...

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Sophosaurus

• Forum Member
  • <see - i'm the witty comment>
    • Online-Magazin Tagesgespraech.EU
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:01:53 pm »
But I will strongly recommend that you convert them to Mp3 as wma encodes information about your computer and the file can be traced back to you...

In fact: It is strongly recommended to keep the net clean of converted files, because theay are not what they seem to be. MP3 labels them as compressed by a known algorythm withz a given bandwidth, while the source in such cases has been compressed with an algorythm working completely different which not only causes distortion, it also destroys the bandwidth info.

When someone downloads an MP3, he wants to get a true MP3, not a WMA-conversion.

So please spread them as they are or leve them off the net.
still somehow freightened when i shall get inserted

Offline geordief

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:55:11 pm »
thanks a lot for the information.I didn't realise that information concerning your own computer was encoded in the files.Does this apply to all wma files or just when you have converted them from another format? (I assume that's possible)

KM

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:31:55 pm »
it is stored in wma files when they are created, where it reads the original from is irrelivant there, when it writes it it adds that info

as for sophosauruses comments, every conversion done reduces quality a bit, however in most cases 1 or 2 conversions the quality difference is not noticeable, and would in fact be still higher quality than a worse encoder going direct from the original source

if you already have them in a certain format then converting is probably fine and unlikely to even be detectable let alone noticeable, but of course it's always best to rip anything directly from an original source without too many steps in between so of course in future ripping directly to mp3 is better than ripping to wma then converting, even if the only difference is the time taken

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  only mp3 ?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx