gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 01:26:03 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Screen Freezes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Screen Freezes  (Read 1743 times)

atlcircuit

Screen Freezes
« on: September 19, 2005, 11:49:36 pm »
Hey guys,
I am not sure if my issue is due to fake files or my PC itself.  The PC has  1gb memory, 160 GBhd space, and a P4 processor.
Whenever I use WinMx, and mostly this happens with monitor on, my screen will not show all the information after it has been on for a while, as if it is freezing and it also has the white spots.  I usually have to roll my mouse over the portions of the screen that aren't visible in order to see them.  Is there anything I should be doing or checking to ensure this doesn't happen, or is my PC doing something funky??

Thanks for your help!

M~

*Ghost...I sent u another PM last week, but no response yet!!!!

legbiter

Screen Freezes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:03:32 am »
Hi atlcircuit,
I would suspect that this is not WinMX related - and most likely caused by Spyware or Virus.
First thing I would do is run a complete system scan for both. If you don't have an anti virus / anti spyware programs then D/L Avast @ http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html, and Spybot @ (http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html)
Both are excellent, free for home use and are highly regarded (I'm sure the moderators will shot me if I am feeding you a line).
If you already have anti virus / anti spyware then check for updates before running them.

Do that and then get back with the results so we know whether we got it right or not...

atlcircuit

Screen Freezes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 10:50:01 pm »
Legbiter,

Thanks for the reply.. I alreadt have Avast, Sygate, Aadware, Spybot, etc.. on the system and working.  Although some viruses seem to sneak through, I don't think it is a virus. I also just reformatted my hard drive, and wiped it clean before the reinstall. Then reloaded all needed software, so I should be working with a clean space.  Same problem happens.  Are there any other things that can make this happen??

THanks again~

legbiter

Screen Freezes
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:22:19 am »
Hi atlcircuit,
OK, sounds like you know your way around a PC. I recently had problems of a similar (but not quite the same) nature, which caused my PC to slow drastically with accompanying loss of graphics. Turned out to be browser related, running multiple tabs with java script enabled allows fatuous adbanners etc to gooble up resources. So I turned off java script - end of problem and as a bonus no more dancing toothpaste adverts :)

You don't say what else is running at the time, if anything, or whether you have checked Windoze Task Manager > Processes to see if anything shows up as using more CPU time than it deserves. Can you run games or other graphics heavy Apps without trouble? If you have a high end graphics card it could be overheating (at this point a gigantic gap in my knowledge is revealed, leading to a subtle change of subject). How 'bout those Redsox Yeah! Eh!

There was some mention of memory leakage with WinMX. This is not a problem I have ever experienced, but try installing the latest version anyway - WinMx354beta4 http://winmxunlimited.no-ip.com/
(despite being beta there seem to be no bugs, I switched to it months ago with no regrets).

Still don't think that this is WinMX at fault though... try Googling Graphics related problems.

ghest

I'm having a similar problem
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:02:53 am »
I'm running a primary connection, too. I've used every spy and virus software available, trojan removers, nothing...
Wanted to know if you found a solution or not...it's really scaring me because it's causing too many problems.

Offline indefile

• Forum Member
freezing transferscreen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 12:33:31 am »
i think the problem is the same as came up in the forum about monitorproblems. my pc is always as clean as one can get it but i encounter this problem quite often on al of my pc's. i have to be hounest though; it only happens when i sort of push winmx to its limits and after doing so for a long time. autosearch on 10/100 and max DL on maximum.
Having a lot of users on auto-upload and trading heavily, i sometimes have 20 DL's running and about the same number of UL's both at a total speed of about 200K/s, while the files waiting in queues can add up to 60.
Everything runs smoothly for hours, sometimes days and then in happens
even with winmx minimized to tray the problem remains. when i check the monitor it shows a lot of stopped UL/DL and start UL/DL for the same files and users. I haven t had the problem lately because my concern now is to keep a primary connection on as long as possible and don't bother too much with downloading and when it happens after being on line 8 days in a row  it may well be the pc that is getting tired. as i experienced the problem solved itself after getting on secondary for a while. Closing the monitor never helped a bit.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Screen Freezes
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:49:22 pm »
Any one experiencing problems of this nature I would be interested to know a little about your WinMX settings.. ie: Bandwidth, Allocated Bandwidth, and Search Thread Duty Cycle..

Anonymous

Screen Freezes
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 01:33:53 am »
Quote from: me here
Any one experiencing problems of this nature I would be interested to know a little about your WinMX settings.. ie: Bandwidth, Allocated Bandwidth, and Search Thread Duty Cycle..

This is a well-known incompatibility with some versions of XP.

There's a simple work-around: click the "Disable visual themes" checkbox on the Compatibility tab of the Properties page for WinMx.exe in your Program Files. Your WinMx won't be as pretty, but it won't freeze or refuse to show parts of the window either.

NYcram

Kadabra

Screen Freezes
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 05:11:35 am »
I'll try that last one thing and report back after a while...  :D

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Screen Freezes

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx