gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 01:25:51 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  Vista upgrade, now disconnect / reconnect problems!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vista upgrade, now disconnect / reconnect problems!  (Read 11462 times)

CosmicSquirt

Vista upgrade, now disconnect / reconnect problems!
« on: January 31, 2007, 06:25:51 pm »
I just installed a fresh copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (not an upgrade).  WinMX worked fine under XP Pro, but now my connection keeps getting reset after about 2 minutes.  I can't stay connected long enough to download anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
Re: Vista upgrade, now disconnect / reconnect problems!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:46:39 pm »
Could you be a little more specific please?

Which connection gets reset for instance - the whole internet or just winmx?
Assuming it's winmx this means you're on secondary and you get connected to a new primary (aka refresh)?
Or does the "green light" on the network page start blinking yellow again?

As you can see we need a little more information before we can try and help you :-)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Vol

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:09:15 pm »
I have the same issue. I'll include a few more details.

I'm running Vista x64 Ultimate. I'm using the Group Patch.

Problem: When I select a Secondary connection to the network the connection to the WinMX network keep resetting every so often (usually between 30 and 2 minutes) Which means I get dropped from chat rooms and cant do much of anything. This happens when using WinMX 3.53 or 3.54 Beta 4 (Both times using the Group Patch). All other network connections function fine and WinMX works perfectly inside Windows XP.

I am able to connect to the WinMX peer network when selecting a Primary connection. I do not drop and I can do all the usual WinMX things without problems.

I've notied 2 threads with this problem so far (This being the 2nd) So that is 3 users including myself with the same problem. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the instability when on a Secondary connection?

KM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:07:32 pm »
vista is causing it - lol

vista as a lot of things changed and made incompatible to the point where it's amazing how many programs can continue to function with the number of broken APIs that are in vista (universal functions many programs use have simply been changed or removed from vista... it's amazing how well things work with stuff like that broken)

as for the specific broken APIs that are causing problems with winmx - i can't reproduce any problems here (some get it working fine, others don't), if i could then i could probably fix the problem

...that's why you should never run out and buy things just because it's the latest untested thing, especially an operating system - something that works is much better than something that costs twice the amount and doesn't

Vol

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 03:03:32 pm »
I was a tester and such I received my copy for Free.

I have to use Vista for my work so I don't have a choice. Anyway WinMX runs under Primary right now but I think the problem should be looked into. I believe people using the 32-bit version of Vista are not having this secondary connection bug. Besides where is WinMX going exactly, Vista is now the new Windows version and after this Microsoft will probably drop the NT kernel entirely (as there own CEO's have mentioned once or twice in conference calls) So what is going to happen then?

It's a shame we don't have a competitive client that is active in development.

CosmicSquirt

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:06:13 pm »
I am using the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate.  Sorry I wasn't specific enough in my post.  I am unable to make a primary connection (I have no TCP or UDP ports available) and my secondary connection resets before it's even on 2 minutes.

Any ideas?  Also, how can I make it so that I can use a primary connection?

Thanks,
Eric

KM

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:54 pm »
it is being looked at and if the exact problem can be identified then it can probably be fixed, the hard bit is identifying the problem - i did manage to get a vista test system to start doing it, however when i went to try and locate the problem... let's just say it didn't go too well (none of the debugging tools i normally use worked properly!), but it is a start anyway

with vista having been released it does need sorting for as people start using it, however people installing vista now should be expecting things to not work for a while - its similar to the issue with IE7, it was known to be a problem straight away however people testing stuff like that knew it would break things, so it was only a medium priority until auto updates started sending it out to all users, in that case it got fixed before then. this is similar in that for a while it's only medium priority until lots of people start using vista - although of course in this case there is no deadline like the IE7 auto update was it will still be sorted out and will get higher and higher priority as it becomes more important.

as for how to make a primary connection, if you have a firewall or router - allow the inbound connections for winmx
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/firewall.html
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/routers_info.html

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:46:05 pm »
never wise to buy something on release it may be new but it dont mean its gonna work there is a lot of compatability problems with vista that need adressing and as km said untill it becomes popular its not gonna be no great priority to them, becides they gotta start makin updates to fook xp up 1st so they can push this 3 legged donkey called vista off the shelves
its incomplete they are already working on a service pack, driver issues companys are struggling to get driver compatability problems sorted some security suites will not work and updates are not ready,Vista's DirectX 10 graphics support is awsome for gamers. But that's something you'll be able to fully take advantage of only later due to no games for it yet lol,    the upgrade version will require you to keep your Windows XP CD for years so no point to it realy
no doubt these issues will get sorted in time but atm is it worth all the hassle just to say you got vista ?
me thinks not  :D  myself  for one can wait a little longer before subsidising mr gates retirement

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 12:26:43 am »
well personally i don't do updates from Microsoft, because 99% of them are security flaws when using internet explorer, i use firefox as there's no ActiveX for spyware to hitch a ride on to your system, also last time i had an update it prevented limewire from starting, so no more limewire, just as well as its virus infested now too, and there is a post somewhere hear about vista's minimum ram requirement is 512meg but 1gig is recommended, some of us haven't got 1gig of ram just to run the operating system, then there's your own programs to run as well, its like internet explorer 7, i tried that and deleted it again as it slowed down the pc on boot-up and use, browser took ages to open, hit the big E then go make a coffee while your home page thinks about loading, then the filters and pop-up blocks stopping you from going to places like downloads for robo/metis etc, it wont let you, so seeing the IE7 and hating it, i'm not in a hurry to get vista.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
# 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
# 512 MB of system memory
# 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
# Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
# DVD-ROM drive
# Audio Output

All this under home basic.... I rather like XP without them darn updates, will remember to turn off updates next time I reformat (never more than two months with a distructive animal like me on it ;) )

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Porthos23

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 04:43:43 pm »
Enough guys, bashing the O/S is really not helping solve this problem, is it?

I have the same problems with Vista Ultimate 32 and WinMX, all of the last three (patched) versions.  

While running a secondary connection, I can connect easily and perform searches.  That part at least seems stable
in the beginning.  After that, I have one chance to download any single file (cannot connect to two or more at the same time,
as they will all timeout) , and this is basically where the problems start.
If I can make that one connection, then the download will continue, despite the disconnect/reconnect issue (the status
reflects almost constant disconnects/connects, but the download continues).  If that initial download times out, then I will
not be able to download anything, until restart.  

Once the initial disconnect happens, I can no longer search (whether WinMX reports I am connected or not).  Also, incomplete files
will not restart, and everything times out.  

While running a primary connection, I can connect with up to 4 peers, never any secondaries, and pass traffic, but cannot
perform searches, or download any files or restart incomplete files. Also, the same constant disconnect/connect  as secondary.

The things I have done to try and fix this problem:

1. Run WinMX.exe in compatiblity mode for XP (no effect)
 2. Run WinMX.exe as Administrator (seems to keep initial connection longer, but still same problems)
 3. Cleared Read Only attribute from WinMX folder and files (have run into this problem before with Vista - no effect)
 4. Turned off Windows Firewall (no effect)
 5. Turned off Windows Defender (no effect)

Another annoying thing I have run across, but haven't been able to fix, is when clicking on any file in the search/transfer
windows, I get a system speaker beep.  Right or left click doesn't matter.  I make a point of turning off almost
all the sound on my machines, so I can compute in peace, but this one won't go away.  Not sure if it is related, but as
it is the system speaker, it could be indicative of a problem.

If anyone has additional questions or directions to try in resolving this, please post to this thread.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
    • Maxtech
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 10:41:07 pm »
Hi Porthos,
a friend and host informed me he is running his room, his WinMX stays connected only because
1, he has turned off his firewall and he said room is ok,
2, he is using the mxpie patch  (sorry for swearing) on his WinMX and using BendMX on it too, he said it stays connected

(he isn't aware of any Intrusions or Trojans, Viruses or Spyware as the security is disabled, ohh well)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 01:20:03 am »
cant se how he is using bendmx on it it doesnt work at all, you sure he aint telling you fibs???
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
    • Maxtech
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 08:39:10 am »
Hi Tiny,
all i know is when he enterers mine it shows he is on bend in the usual admin message, and he likes the info to screen showing ppl he is on vista, (it shows it as windows 2000 build)

Porthos23

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 06:15:54 pm »

Well, further info on the problem. 

Tried the MXpie hosts modification (I'm not willing to run whatever other crap they are pushing at this time). 

With version 3.2, could not connect at all.

With version 3.4 (latest), took about 5 mins before WinMX would connect, but the connection was more stable.
At the same time, never could download anything.. most files would connect, with 0.0 transfer rate, and after 2 to 4k
would eventually time out.  I could search and try to d/l more than one file, but after about 10 mins, got the disconnect
and then pretty much the same behavior as before.

I also turned on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service to see if that would have any effect, but it was a no go.

Because the hosts modification works at least somewhat better (than the patch), I wonder if that is an avenue for investigation.  Any
coders out there with a better understanding of the workings of WinMX and/or the patch system would be welcome to weigh
in on this. 

I'm willing to be a guinea pig for most any ideas anyone has.. As Vista starts getting wider acceptance, this is likely to be a much
more common problem that the community will face as a whole, and the sooner we get a fix, the better off everyone will be.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:51:48 pm »
Well said Porthos23  8)

I have a section now set aside for this particular subject and this whole thread is being moved into it as it fits the bill of helpful information needed by the developer at winmx group (KM).

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 07:08:25 pm »
I'm sure KM will be delighted at finding yet another new section, mwhuhahahahaha!   :mrgreen:
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

crow

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 08:17:25 pm »
cracks up @ nylly

Porthos23

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 12:50:21 pm »

Finally had some success last night, using the 3.1 patch and primary connection (secondary connection
still showing same issues as before).

I had no real problems, although download speed on the same file wavered considerably, and would drop
to 0.0 multiple times druing the course of a download.  Also, overall speed was rather slow, typically closer
to dial-up speeds than broadband (7k or so average). 

I did not attempt to d/l any large files, just several smaller 3-8 MB, with similar results from every download. 

While still not the joy to run it was under win98, 2k, and XP, it is workable, and if you have the bandwidth,
it could be a reasonable fix until we can get it all straightened out.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 05:29:04 pm »
I saw this from your post in the other thread.

I don't know if it will make a hell of a difference to you (in my case it did), but try winmx without utorrent running.
Even on my xp, winmx seems to have a lot of download problems and search problems when I run it with utorrent.
Just like in your case, my download speeds never went past the 10 k mark. I was downloading a documentary. Lots of timeouts and cancels. And upon closing u torrent, the speeds were respectable....

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  Vista upgrade, now disconnect / reconnect problems!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx