gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 20, 2024, 05:25:38 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Vista Voice Danger ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vista Voice Danger ?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Vista Voice Danger ?
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:50:33 am »
With the release of the latest in buggy Microsoft O/S's (aka Vista) it seems even the lamest of hacks are much feared by Microsoft as it dents the image of security they are continuing to push.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm

Vista was launched to consumers on Tuesday
Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders.
Vista can respond to vocal commands and concern has been raised about malicious audio on websites or sent via e-mail.

In one scenario outlined by users an MP3 file of voice instructions was used to tell the PC to delete documents.
Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry.

I suppose they will release a fix for this  :wink: a pop up box to nag you into buying a "special" microsoft microphone that filters out these new Voice "Viruses"   :lol: :P :lol:

KM

Re: Vista Voice Danger ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 05:10:21 pm »
one of the more humorous "security flaws" i've heard of

seriously, you get some virus, yes it's going to play a sound file in the hope that the microphone will pick up the delete instruction, because just deleting the file itself isn't easier... lol

Offline J a M e S

• Forum Member
  • www.lovehosts.com
    • Great Web Hosting
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:51:53 pm »
haha!
Learn From Yesterday, Live For Today, Hope For Tomorow!
www.lovehosts.com

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:48:09 pm »
Quote from: GhostShip
Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry.

I would think that there was a need to worry about this problem. I would not want important files deleted, especially if I work from home. I think Microsoft needs to take Vista back to the planning stage.

meeee

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:14:47 pm »
vista is a p.o.s.!,wont even discuss what it wont let you do with its drm functions.

KM

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:39:49 pm »
if you are stupid enough that you activate voice control and then you sit there listening to your computer saying "open windows directory, select all, delete" and don't do something then chances are that your system isn't actually going to be working long enough for it to have any effect, because you'd have probably followed all those instructions in your email to run the attached virus removal program... lol

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:26:03 pm »
considering how bad microsofts voice recognition is (you have to repeat yourself multiple times) i think its semi-safe to say this isnt going to be as bad as one might think....

note; im basing this on a disney exibit of the 'house of tomorrow' one part of which had a stubborn voice controlled XP machine

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Vista Voice Danger ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx