gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 05:38:12 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  For Anyone Wishing To Try Linux
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: For Anyone Wishing To Try Linux  (Read 1629 times)

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
For Anyone Wishing To Try Linux
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:43:46 pm »
First off sorry Ghost i said id not post againg for a week lol but i had to .  :)  Not sure wher to pot this  nothing to do wityh mx so if you think its better suted some where ealse feel free to move it.

Ive wanted to try linux for some time now but didn't wish go all out and do a  repartitioning and other Bs so many ask for. I found this a few weeks ago and altho its not as easy as they like to make out it is the first ive found that allows me a fast easy install. no need to make a partition for this to try ,The only draw back is it is only for xp.  No vista no 98 just XP.

Taken from home page,

Wubi is an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will bring you into the Linux world with a few clicks. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other application. If you heard about Linux and Ubuntu, if you wanted to try them but you were afraid, this is for you. It does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader. Just run the installer, no need to burn a CD. Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and If you do not like, you can simply uninstall it. Wubi (like Ubunutu) is free as in beer and as in freedom. You will get this part later on, the important thing now is that it cost absolutely nothing, it is our gift to you...

This is their home page : http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/en-US/index.html

I was not able to just use the installer as they say on that page but after a little looking around i found this page and a Manual Installation, worked first time.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/Prototype

I can assure you if i can do it any one can. The olny thing i have found that is a pain is my vid card driver does not work (FX5200) but i still can see and use linux just a little jurkie working on that now. one other thing is when i come to the first boot screen i dont see ubuntu as a  option only xp but when i used the arrow keys to move up or down if xp is not hilighted ubuntu is loaded. i guess its a bug.

You may ask what can you do with it. Well i have no idea this is my first try with linux .
                From FAQ.
What applications come with Ubuntu?
Ubuntu comes fully loaded with most commonly used applications, including a full office suite compatible with MS office, image editing software, picture management software, media player, games, browser, email client, IM and video conferencing software... On top of all of this, you can easily install additional software, from a list of over 20,000 applications.

Look here for more. http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/en-US/faq.html

I hope someone finds this usefull.  Dont ask mu help with it i dont know any more than you, im learning as i go. sorry
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline Cerebral

• Forum Member
  • use the brain
Re: For Anyone Wishing To Try Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:22:45 am »
if someone wants to use linux shouldt they read up on it?
then apply it when they are installleling?

linux is easyer to install than windows xp , 98, 95
open source all the way

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 05:43:30 pm »
Summary - Cerebral Assassin's post

linux is easyer to install than windows xp , 98, 95

ok i got a wine that works with winmx
its "wine (alpha version)"
its for suse i think it works ok
it doesnt need active x for winmx to work tho (i think)

i use it cause i cant get active x from the winehq.com

i had some trouble dual booting linux "suse" and windows vista
vista has a "bitlocker" which you can call anti linux
which the only distro i seen that dual boots with vista is ubunta

im using suse 10.0
i got winmx to work without installing active x(i think)
i cant copy and paste out of win apps  and visa versa (copy from winmx and paste into fire

well
i  tryed wine 9.16 and everything goes good until installing active x (due to my system probably)
active x wont install

so the version of wine i use is Wine 20050725(alpha version i think)
everything work but the weird thing is all my extra windows pop up on the next desktop.

I am runnin linux (suse 10.1)  I am trying to get wcs to run but when i open it it gives me "checksum failed" message and closes or it will not load the config file and not connect

i have everthing in the same folder checksum,config,wcs.exe
wcs worked on mandriva linux before i installed suse but now i cant get wcs to work on any kind of linux

can anybody help me with this issue?

I got wine to work (wine 0.9.16) but i have minor errors with it

i was thinking of using win4lin or crossover

any thoughts about them are they good?

Ok i got it installed but when i try to run a windows program it shows it loading at the bottom but after a while stops and nothing happens

well i dunno were else to put this

but when i tried to install wine for mandriva linux it gave me an "un able to access hdlist file of "update_source", medium ignored" but it still  installed
and i cant get winmx to install and run ether

can anybody help me on this?

if someone wants to use linux shouldt they read up on it?
then apply it when they are installleling?

Yes Cerebral Assassin i agree.
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

wanese

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:40:28 am »
hello there i will love to hear form you  cause i would like to have friends all over the word

Offline J a M e S

• Forum Member
  • www.lovehosts.com
    • Great Web Hosting
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:29:37 pm »
Hello,

Lol
Learn From Yesterday, Live For Today, Hope For Tomorow!
www.lovehosts.com

bughunter

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:25:15 am »
winmx runs fine under wine..............
but only if your using a proper flavor of linux crap distros like ubuntu are complete junk and do nothing for the linux image as a whole..........
if you want to run winmx under wine then use fedora  suse  mandrake  debian        anything else your just wasteing your time and computer...............
in the case of fedora take the current release of wine ( complete crap and doesnt work )   go back 3 releases and use wine tools also avalable from winehq, and it will install and run fine.............once your used to editing config files in linux its easier just to alter the wine config..........and no you dont need active x........but it does help if you want to run other windows applications...............
if your using debian see nylly for any help..............
if you insist on running ubuntu vista or any other  crap distributions then maybe you deserve all the problems they deliver..........by the way if you use the linux boot loader you can dual boot anything including vista................

Offline Cerebral

• Forum Member
  • use the brain
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:25:56 am »
dont be haten chuck
open source all the way

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  For Anyone Wishing To Try Linux

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx