gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 08, 2024, 02:46:10 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Nice To Meet You!  |  hi, just dl patch, I haven't been on winmx in a longggg time
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: hi, just dl patch, I haven't been on winmx in a longggg time  (Read 2356 times)

Offline fireflygirl

• Forum Member
hi, just dl patch, I haven't been on winmx in a longggg time
« on: March 25, 2007, 07:40:06 am »
hello , I just dl the patch, I haven't even  tried to connect yet. I have a few questions.
first of all I do not go by fireflygirl on winmx. I used winmx for a few years off and on back when all I had was dial up, I was addicted to it. winmx shut down, my modem went out, got new laptop and a desktop for son(he just dl limewire, but I think I'm gonna delete it)  got busy and quit dl music. I'm back with dsl :D. anyway I was  also a little nervous about the whole file sharing thing, I'm wondering whats a good number of files to share? I know not too many, but I want to be nice and I want to be able to dl from others. I have mx monitor, I'm assuming I can still run it. are there any updates for it or anything else I should get?  I sure hope this goes smooth and I can connect and figure this out. I feel so lost in the world of winmx now. I got to where I would reconize peeps in a few of the help chat rooms on winmx. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline fireflygirl

• Forum Member
Re: hi, just dl patch, I haven't been on winmx in a longggg time
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:26:08 am »
oh and I have a few incomplete files from a long time ago. should I  delete them, or is it possible to start them back up

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:44:17 am »
Hi Fireflygirl,

Welcome back to WinMX and welcome to the site.
File sharing is the whole idea, so yes you should share files that you think others might like to find.  WinMX is a relatively safe way to share your media as no one has been threatened with extortion while using it.  Notice I didnt say sued because to date the RIAA has never actually sued any individuals for file sharing in a court of law and won.  They have been very successful at scaring many folks into paying hush money, but not from WinMX.  Most users would probably say 50 - 100 at the least and many folks share thousands of files.

MxMonitor developers are no longer around and the v1.28 is the latest and will still work with your WinMX versions 3.53 or 3.54 beta 4.

Dont feel lost Fireflygirl we are here to help keep you feeling confident and offer any assisance you may need, just feel free tp post any questions.  We also have a help room called
WinMxWorld.com Help_A06F7657BABE

Which you can copy and paste into the filter bar and click Join if you would like a place to hang out, get answers or just need some quick help.

As for your incompletes if you dont have a reasonable percentage of the file already I would remove them and try new sources, however. if the incompletes are intact, and in the Incoming Files folder, they will look for new sources.  At one time however there were fakes making rounds that could damage WinMX and cause crashes so If you dont have a good percentage or amount of the file completed its best to get new.

Hope this helps Fireflygirl and enjoy the music

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 01:13:22 pm »
Btw, if you have too mush trouble getting files, you can go to spanfiels.com or freewarefiles.com and get a couple of freeware files from there.
Although, there are many people who don't use mxmoniter as well, so it shouldn't be too tough...
Any number is good so long as you are comfertable with it....

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline fireflygirl

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:50:41 pm »
thanks so much, I just feel lost bc it has been so long since I have used it and all the changes. I got to know what to look for and all and now I feel like I am starting all over....
it just seems to me people use to say like 500 files would be safe but having more, you will get noticed.. I thought there was a place in the winmx settings you could set how many you share, but now I don't see it. Of course that could just be my lovely memory.
I was looking over the forum a little and I am wondering what about the block list? Do I need to install the sygate firewall?
thanks again, I am sure I will visit the chat room, once I get started.

Offline fireflygirl

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 11:00:32 pm »
how do you edit in here
I think I just asked a stupid question in previous post about the spygate firewall, but like I said I am lost.
the pc I am running winmx is my old one and it is windows me . the pc has been down for almost a year, I just got another monitor and that is when I found out there are no more updates or ANYTHING for windows me, and this pc needs to much to even get the free update to xp, which is what we use on other pc's. I am keeping this one until I can transfer all my music, photos, and other important info over.
BUT seeing how I can't upgrade or update ANYTHING I don't have any virus protection or anything.
ok that was long, I am going to search and see if there is anything I can use on  me untill I get all of the above done. :)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 02:10:39 am »
Firefly,

Ok,, lets start with sharing.. here are a couple guides to sharing files.. and yes you can set the amount of files.. by chooseing what folders you share.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/sharing_on_354.html        or for 3.31 and 3.53 users:
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/sharing_on_353.html

The Block List is incorporated into the new patch, as long as you got your version of WinMX from the WinMXGroup site then your already protected.

As for a firewall Sygate will work on Windows ME, i used it and your questions about it are not stupid at all.  I hated ME and am glad to be off of it however, Microsoft are almost the only ones not supplying updates or programs what work on it.  I would suggest you try Sygate from our links page.

https://www.winmxworld.com/links/utils.html

On the above link you will also see a few antivirus program, such as Avast or AVG

"AVG Free for Windows is fully compatible with Windows 98/ME/NT4/W2000/WXP operating systems."   

"For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 50MB of free hard disk space."

So either Avast or AVG will run fine on ME, as will many other programs.

We dont have an edit function for posters but if you ever need one modified just feel free to PM one of the moderators here on site.. noted by Blue or Peach colored stars by the name and ask.  For  the record however i didnt find anything stupid about your questions..  :wink:

Offline fireflygirl

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 10:55:47 pm »
once again, thanks sooo much, I just got the anti virus and sygate, may look into spyware-but I am ready to get back to winmx,yea!!

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:50:29 am »
If you want a free spyware program (like avast) go here

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=3143.0.html

Updated by Stevi 05/27/2011: Updated link.
Patch link :

Offline sandy028601

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 06:08:25 am »
 :)
hi my name is sandy. like most of you i had been using winmx for a long time untill  the site shut down for fearing of being on the RIAA hit list. which can understand. one thing bothers me still  is that winmx should have given us a warning first. i tried several downloading sites, i feel that winmx is the best downloading site and for one is glad its back. limewire sucks big time.
sandy

Offline Victim

• Forum Member
    • Winmx 4 Eva
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 10:33:19 am »
Winmx is a p2p not a site. Thanks

And yes winmx is the best.

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 11:55:41 pm »
Well, since WinMX.com shut down, the community pulled together and survived without them...

Many of us wished they had given warning, but I think it was a quick decision in a tight space...

However, we are still here, and the community is growing again :)

Welcome back and let others know that WinMX is strong and fun still!

Best Regards, and Be Good!
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 05:01:53 pm »
I don't know... but perhaps warning might have got them into even more trouble.
Might come under "inticing copyright violation" bullshit or something. Even if a prosecution is not possible, the cost of lawyers would me damn high, plus frontcode never made money off winmx... So I believe they didn't want to get into anymore trouble and shut it down without further ado...

Patch link :

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Nice To Meet You!  |  hi, just dl patch, I haven't been on winmx in a longggg time

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx