gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 09:48:06 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Ideas For Kick Starting WinMx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ideas For Kick Starting WinMx  (Read 3496 times)

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
Ideas For Kick Starting WinMx
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:08:14 pm »
For some time now myself and many others have been thinking of ways to improve WinMx and more than anything get WinMx get back on track. Every idea i have thought of as been flawed either because of Legal reasons or Finance reasons. WinMx will never die because there are too many people out there that love it too much and will try anything and will put alot of hard work into keeping WinMx Up and Running.

The main problems are that users are not aware that WinMx is functional again and more so some people are just not sharing media. I personally within time will be sharing alot of Media but one user alone can only make a slight difference.

I would like to take this time and space to ask everyone who uses WinMx World to help. You can help by suggesting your ideas and any other Useful comments that you think could help. May i say this is no excuse for flaming or insulting, this Topic as one purpose and thats to get more ideas to Help WinMx.

Thanks in Advanced
Zero_Cool
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: Ideas For Kick Starting WinMx
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:19:40 pm »
This subject has been broached a good many times before Zero_Cool  & the general concencus has been for everyone to let as many ppl know as possible that winmx is still here and free & to educate people on the concept of fileshare.
One of the main problems seems to be a trust issue because of so many scam sites out there charging for broken copys of winmx etc, another problem being connection and helping people to find the right resources to get a fully working winmx ( obviously we all know its here but a lot of people out there have no idea) this is why we need to let people know about it and where to come to get it and find help with any problems/issues they may have.

There are hundreds of sites out there advertising winmx so there is no real point adding to these as it will only get lost amongst the others anyway ( mostly scam sites so people in the main dont even  realise that winmx is free) this is why word of mouth from people to friends explainiing about winmx is always going to be the best option as they will be getting advise from people they trust

If all the current users let say 10 people know all about winmx and these users do the same in no time the comunity would far surpass the amounts of bygone years by many fold

ok now the educating part....this is where you let people know that shareing files is what keeps this network alive & it is for everyones benifit to do so (something that will make the comunity a lot stronger the more that people do this) also there is the rooms that cater for just about any subject that people may be interested in.

As for people not shareing you are always going to get selfish ones that d/load but wont put anything back,that is where its up to the ones that do share to try to make them change there habbits or cut them off untill they do share (not an easy task granted but nontheless worthwhile if it gets more files out there)

WinMx will never die because there are too many people out there that love it too much and will try anything and will put alot of hard work into keeping WinMx Up and Running
This statement is quite true & the more people that join the effort the better for all concerned

so all in all everything is in place its just a matter of letting people know this & encouraging them to be part of the winmx comunity that we all know and love

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:37:30 pm »
I agree totally i was speaking to Me Here and we both said exactly what you have just said. I understand that people need to know that WinMx was free and always will be free, i understand that you will always get selfish people using any P2P Application. I have now thought about the topic i have made and you are correct, many people have tried making simular topics.

I will try my best to think of new ideas and oviously ill speak to people like Me Here and QuickSilver and other and if they think these ideas will work ill give them a go.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:18:51 am »
Put winmx on your signature in sites, put it in your profile, Spead it to your friends....

Atleast that's what I'm doing ...

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline bluepup

• Forum Member
  • bluepup
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:18:04 am »
How about changing WinMX status to indicate "up & attum" and "free" on sites that receive frequent visits, such as Wapedia, TUT/Answers That Work, etc.?  In addition, it appears that many users fear compromising their computers' security by sharing files and by sending/receiving peer messages. 

Should WinMX default settings be s/w less restricting? 

To beat the drum once more, tutorials need to be crystal clear about settings. 

bluepup

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:46:21 am »
I agree with all the above.

As for non-verbal promotion, a search for  'WinMX' on Google shows that WinMXWorld is second in their list, and it says, "The largest and most up-to date WinMX Help site in the world."

Might it be good to start it off by saying (loudly), "WINMX IS ALIVE AND WELL AT WINMXWORLD!", to counter the impression that MX is dead and buried, and to steer people towards a free version of MX and away from dodgy sites? Of course, the patch situation would need to be sorted out first, so that Newbies could get started. :?

Offline bluepup

• Forum Member
  • bluepup
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 05:43:54 pm »
Trestor, I've emailed the folks at The Ultimate Troubleshooter (TUT) and Answers That Work to tell them that WinMX is alive.  Although anyone can connect to and use the site, Answers That Work, TUT's (not a free program) online help is generated via Answers That Work.  By my remaining connected to WinMX, TUT continues receiving information to indicate that WinMX is a running task on my computer. 

In past, The Answers That Work site purported that WinMX was the only safe file-sharing program and offered WinMS in their program downloads section.  Presently, when I open TUT, under Tasks , TUT findings report, "In December of 2006 there is no point of using the once famed WinMX."  TUT recommendations report, "Its networks have been shut down by threats of copywright lawsuits and you will not be able to download anything through this program."  (I use TUT; thus, WinMX presence shows up as a Not OK task running on my computer.)

bluepup

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 07:05:23 pm »
Good move, Bluepup; that was well done. I hope they take your info on board.  :D

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 07:36:52 am »
I think we have sort of a Catch 22 with this. Without people you don't have nearly as many files being shared, and without as many files for download people don't see a need to stick around. It's like hanging out in a chatroom by yourself. You may be keeping the chatroom open just in case someone shows up, but until then what's the fun?

One of my friends online mentioned today that a friend of hers (who uses dialup) wanted her to download a bunch of songs for him. I asked what she used and suggested she use WinMX mentioning fake file blocking and trying to possibly bring someone new into the program. (If she liked WinMX, she would be more than willing to keep her connection open sharing the files she had 24/7). After sending her the install and getting her started, she spent 30 minutes attempting to download files, almost all of which resulted in her being queued. The one that she did manage to download without being placed above 15th in the queue she said "downloaded really slow". With that she went back to the program she had been using and within 15 minutes had downloaded all of the files she was looking for. I doubt she will ever use WinMX again.

How do you convince people to use WinMX when they already use something else and it appears to work much faster for them with more people available to download from?
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:08 am »
I have yet to find another client that can match winmx for so many good files.....yea plenty about that you can d/load from fast but at what cost? ......quality usually crap .....fakes in abundance.....viruses and trojans galore ......folders full of half finished files never to complete.
As for d/loading a few songs unless they was really obscure i have never had any problems to get in a short time perhaps she went for the ones with long queues not realising that the ones in green generally d/load straight away or something. (being a new user this often happens)
Also there is the chat function this can be really handy source for obtaining files and starts for files by going to the appropriate rooms and joining them (especially if you have files to share)then there is the community that you don't experience with other d/load clients
Winmx can be slow sometimes but by using a few other options that are available to you it needn't be in fact it can be the opposite with a good bit of fun also meeting new ppl and forming new friendships .........something not many others can offer.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 05:35:15 pm »
"As for d/loading a few songs unless they was really obscure i have never had any problems to get in a short time perhaps she went for the ones with long queues not realising that the ones in green generally d/load straight away or something."

That was my assumption as well even though I explained everything to her one step at a time including the queue colors. She only named two of the titles to me, and I had no problems with them, but for whatever the reason, she did.

I will be trying to tempt her again soon, though.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline itsbry

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 02:47:52 pm »
I am genuinely confused as to what other program folks could be using that provides results like WinMX... maybe I haven't investigated the torrent scene as much as I could have, but it seems that torrents are more of a pain than a benefit. How on earth am I going to make a torrent file for each of the thousands of files that I have? And then upload all those files to one of many websites? And then make sure that I have their little txt file wrapped up in it? Phht...

Am I correct when I describe WinMX as not having a central server... it's just a ****load of users connecting to one another? If that's the case, then WinMX likely would never go away... as long as there were at least a few folks out there, and there are definitely more then a few!

Primary User
Win XP Pro SP2
Comcast Cable Modem
WinMX v3.54 beta
MX Monitor

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 10:41:47 pm »
Am I correct when I describe WinMX as not having a central server... it's just a ****load of users connecting to one another?

Indeed Itsbry, you have summed the  situation up nicely, there is no central hub or control, the entire network is held together by all the primary users passing traffic amongst themselves, this is why I agree with you, WinMX will stay around in one form or the other for a long time yet  8)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Ideas For Kick Starting WinMx

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx