gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 07, 2024, 12:37:10 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  file searching with 3.54 beta
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: file searching with 3.54 beta  (Read 1276 times)

Anonymous

file searching with 3.54 beta
« on: October 05, 2005, 07:44:31 am »
thanks to this forum i managed to run WinMX again. but there's a problem with the beta version. when i search for more files simultaneously and start them at the same time the results get mixed up.
example: if i search for beatles, stones and mozart there wil be results for mozart in the beatles search list.
but everything else works fine.

thanks in advance

toxic666

file searching with 3.54 beta
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:36:52 am »
yeah, had that a few times with 3.54beta, never seemed to happen with 3.53; only way found to stop it was to Close all the search windows and re-type each search term (rather than clicking on Search once again to retry while a number of different search windows were open simultaneously), and then they seem to search independently of each other. If that makes sense..... but let's face facts, it's a minor irritant compared to the death of WinMX itself..... :)

And on that note, thanks to everyone at the forum for all their efforts in getting the thing up again and keeping everyone informed as to what has been going on and how to get round it, you've been spot on, thanks.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
Re: file searching with 3.54 beta
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:50:40 am »
Quote from: Anonymous
thanks to this forum i managed to run WinMX again. but there's a problem with the beta version. when i search for more files simultaneously and start them at the same time the results get mixed up.
example: if i search for beatles, stones and mozart there wil be results for mozart in the beatles search list.
but everything else works fine.

thanks in advance

Do only 1 search at a time.  Allow it a few minutes for the  results to come in before starting a new search.

WPN may not be as robust as we would like it to be right now.  From what I have read, the Primary:Secondary ratio is very unbalanced.  More people are needed to volunteer to run as Primary hubs.

Doing excessive searches may tend to overload the fragile WPN infrastructure.

The experts are recommending:
  1] Turning off  AFS [Auto find sources] to lower the constant searches.  Often these may be activating from old incompletes for which sources are hard or impossible to find.
  2] Avoid using QuickMX.  Apparently the author didn't consider how repeated searches would have a bad effect on WPN.  Or, worse, he didn't care.
  3] limiting searches and doing browsing instead when possible [like from users parked in chatrooms that are geared to certain interests, i.e. movies, ebooks, audiobooks, jazz, hiphop, rock, etc.]
  4] Be patient and not so gimme gimme gimme greedy.  Remember, you are not downloading files from some huge corporation website.  You are downloading from your peers, other users like yourself.

More helpful hints here:

http://www.vladd44.com/mx/peercaches.php

:!:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  file searching with 3.54 beta

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx