gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 02:28:51 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Virgin in anti-piracy talks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Virgin in anti-piracy talks  (Read 691 times)

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Virgin in anti-piracy talks
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:33:21 pm »
Another load of rubbish from the bpi

Matt Phillips, from the music industry body, the BPI, said: "We want to work in partnership with broadband companies.
"But we believe they must do more to combat the illegal file sharing that takes place on their networks.

What they mean is they might dangle a carrot to the isp in order to get what they want

Three strikes policy
Some film and music companies have been lobbying hard for the three strike system being introduced in other European countries.
Broadband companies would have to contact any customer suspected of downloading an illegal file.
If the warning is ignored, that user's internet account could be suspended or cut altogether.

Makes for an easy early get out for the user when there isp throttles them so bad its unusable & they want to move elsewhere without financial penalty  :wink:  :wink:

A potential loss for virgin of six million customers... only got to do the maths to realise this wont work out as i doubt the bpi are gonna compensate them loss of such a large userbase.

Full story below
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7324000/7324911.stm

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
Re: Virgin in anti-piracy talks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:32:47 pm »
Broadband companies would have to contact any customer suspected of downloading an illegal file.
If the warning is ignored, that user's internet account could be suspended or cut altogether.

Hmmmmm suspected? Just what evidence will they need to class a user as suspected? How will an isp intend to see what the user is "suspected" of DLing? Perhaps they will simply wait for their partners at the BPI to pluck out an IP address and that will be enough for strike 1?

This sort of approach wont last very long when they get their butts hauled through the courts, Virgin would hate the bad pr, i cant see anything like this likely.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Virgin in anti-piracy talks

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx