gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 09:41:19 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Verify fakes in my library
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Verify fakes in my library  (Read 4282 times)

Offline SS

• Forum Member
Verify fakes in my library
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:24:48 pm »
I've read the reference pages on fake files and on the community patch, and I have loaded the patch.  On one of those pages it mentioned that installing the patch will help eliminate the fakes on searches, but it said that it won't remove fakes that I already have in my library (incompletes?).  So I have 2 questions:

How do I verify the files I already have in my request queue?
Does the patch still allow me to see fakes that someone else might have if I browse them?

Thanks

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Verify fakes in my library
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:25:42 am »
If you have incomplete files that you believe are "fakes" as opposed to real files in existence on the network somewhere then I would advise you delete them as they will never complete, but to be on the safe side you can always do a hash search and see what results you obtain, as if the file is genuine you should see at least one or two others on the network holding a copy.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/hash_numbers.html

Most normal users dont have fakes in their shares, there are the occassional folks who rename titles and swap content about but  you can still browse such folks and make up your own mind if they are a valid sharers or someone out to annoy others, I havent seen a lot of that type of activity for years though.

99% of all the "fakes" we refer to are fake listings and not the file content themselves as this is the most damaging type of attack they use and making up false files and allowing upoloading costs them a fortune in bandwidth whilst disrupting hardly anyone.

Offline Mytheroo

• Forum Member
  • Wanna lick?
Re: Verify fakes in my library
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:19:24 am »
put another way (correct me if i'm wrong GH), if your files are part-completed, then they are real files (but might not be what the title says), but if they are at 0% then they might well be fake listings which will never start or complete...in which case try the hash search to see as GH said
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Verify fakes in my library

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx