gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 06, 2024, 10:41:17 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Minimum Sys Requirements For Primary Connection?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Minimum Sys Requirements For Primary Connection?  (Read 1297 times)

Asker

Minimum Sys Requirements For Primary Connection?
« on: October 10, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
I am running an older computer (Celeron 466mhz) with SD-Ram.  If I connect as a Primary on WinMx I get incredible slowdown on WinMx.  It's so slow and boggy I can barely navigate the program at all and my searches just hang without any results.  I have a decent broadband connection, but Primary Connection appears to be a RAM and CPU hog for me and makes WinMx practically non-functional.  So what would be the Minium System Requirements for functioning as a Primary? And why does it cause this ridiculous slowdown?

On the other hand, I am having a lot of difficulty connecting at all as a Secondary.  In fact, I'm NOT connecting. And from my experience on a Primary Connection, I can see why some people prefer to avoid it. According to this: https://www.winmxgroup.com/check.php - about 50% of the secondaryt peer caches are offline now.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Minimum Sys Requirements For Primary Connection?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:50:07 pm »
Yes that is a disappointing statistic but the team running that are concerned that it not be overloaded like the other one so they being prudent and making sure it stays up.

If you have the winmxgroup patch, it is pointing to all of the fully working caches so there should not be a problem.

As regards your question I can only speak in generalities here but cable /dsl lines are all winmx will allow you to connect primary with, as you then pass all the system/network traffic as well as your own.

I use 512 meg of ram and XP, although mx should run fine on 98/ME also.
I did have a few teething problems before I went XP with my modem flipping out but not had that problem for over a year now.  

Our advice is that if your an unstable primary then by all means be a secondary, a weak network benefits no one.  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Minimum Sys Requirements For Primary Connection?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx