gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 03:50:30 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK News - Virgin Complains Over Speed Testing Results.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK News - Virgin Complains Over Speed Testing Results.  (Read 698 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK News - Virgin Complains Over Speed Testing Results.
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »
This is just to funny  :lol:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/virgin_media_speed_checkers/

Virgin Media believes it is being shafted by comparison sites offering ISP speed checks, and has called on them to improve their techniques ahead of the launch of its 50Mbit/s upgrade.
Switching sites are becoming an increasingly powerful force in the near-saturated broadband market. uSwitch recently said the tightening of household belts during the ongoing economic turmoil had prompted more internet users to change their ISP.

Virgin Media now says its lab tests show the web-based methods used by the comparison sites are often flawed, and that it will publish the results online. The firm is worried that mismeasurements of as much as 40 per cent will be further amplified once it boosts its top package from the current theoretical 20Mbit/s maximum download speed to 50Mbit/s next month.

Web-based speed testers typically work by timing how long it takes to download and upload a small file. Virgin Media charges that such a test only measures how long it takes for a file to get from one place in the internet to anothe, rather than actual throughput on a customer's line. The files transmitted are often too small to give an accurate picture too, it alleges.

So all of a sudden people are using the internet in ways that make Virgins speed seem slower, whilst they may want to grab the headlines with maximum theoretical speeds, whining about folks methods of testing that speed means we are obviously going to have to take Virgins claims with a pinch of salt as a benchmark is a benchmark.  I,m sure other ISP's would like to change the assesment methodology when they too feel their speeds are slighly lacking, whats next, gold plated connectors ???  :/

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: UK News - Virgin Complains Over Speed Testing Results.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:09:21 pm »
Oh come on! :lol:

Although I do agree that the file for testing can be too small sometimes.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: UK News - Virgin Complains Over Speed Testing Results.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 07:15:57 am »
this is the most accurite i have found out there cos it takes compression (either by the hardware or by software means) into account.... http://www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp

anyone using virgin want to give it a go?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK News - Virgin Complains Over Speed Testing Results.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx