gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 01:48:44 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  setting ports for modem not on portforward
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: setting ports for modem not on portforward  (Read 1473 times)

dtec498

setting ports for modem not on portforward
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:35:08 pm »
I recently switched cable providers and when I did I have problems with winmx, me not being able to download and others not being able to upload. I need to check what ports to use but portforwarding does not list my modem. I was given a new Motorola modem called the "surf boardd" model number is SB5101. Help

Offline Bart_Laroc_260

• Forum Member
Re: setting ports for modem not on portforward
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:10:08 pm »
An SB5101 is a modem w/o any user-configurable settings, What model router are you plugging into the modem? ...

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:30:02 am »
hi dtec498

Are you able to give us some more information. When did the problem start, what os are you using, what firewalls are you using.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

dtec498

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:09:57 pm »
I am not using a router, the cable is hooked directly into the modem which goes to my comp. I am using windows XP and did not have any problems when I was with my old cable provider using their modem.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:58:27 pm »
hi Dtec498,

I'm having a hard time finding your Internet provider can you tell us who that is?

Not being able to download is usually going to be because of the ISP throttling WinMX so badly it cant connect most of the time.  Do your uploads and downloads work some of the time?  When/if they do, is it usually smaller files your able to download?

Here are some things to check/know:

1) -Make sure that your not using a program called 'Threatfire'  this was discovered recently to stop downloads from proceding (although it allowed uploads oddly enough)

2) -Make sure that your AEQ settings are set right:
https://www.winmxworld.com/help/winmx-settings-search.html     - Having these set to defaults can cause downloads not to work.

3) -Make sure that what ever firewall your using is allowing WinMX 'and' where appropriate that the correct ports are set in it.  If your using XP firewall it does require ports set up for uploads to work and its a good idea if you use 'another' firewall to check and make sure the XP one is off:
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/changing_port_numbers.html  -settings/checking ports in WinMX
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/firewall.html    -check/set up Firewalls with WinMX

4) -Besure that the patch your using is the 'WinMX Community Patch 1.0' from  https://patch.winmxconex.com    This will ensure your not attempting to download fake files.

Try these things and settings Dtec and get back to us with your Internet Provider name so we can let you know of any known issues with them that might cause this for you.

dtec498

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:40:18 am »
I am not able to upload or download anything at this time. I had winmx set up and the appropriate ports set in my firewall for quite some time now. I have been using winmx for the last 3 years +/- with out any problems. Then I switched to my local electric company(Murray Electric, Murray KY) for my internet and cable (cheaper than the cable company) and now winmx is not working. I have read on the porforward forums that there were some issues with the modem I was given, Motorola surfboard model 5101, so I asked for a different modem, was given a 5100, still no change. I was offered an older model modem, still a surfboard but a 4000 series modem. I don't know if that will make a difference or not. I was told that they only use surfboards and that their config files will only support surfboards so I can't even use my own personal modem.

I went through and made the recommended changes that "mehere" suggested and still no change. I already had the latest patch in place.
If people are able to start an upload from me it runs at an absurdly slow speed (138 B/s avg)  and always times out or gets disconnected. When I try to download I don't ususally get connected. I am ready to give up.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:47:11 pm »
Hi Dtec,

I've never had any personal experience with Murray however, the tell all of what you just said to me is that some transfers do begin, which means your ports are fine, then they die off meaning the Company is interferring (using software to throttle WinMX Transfers) Many ISPs especially smaller ones do this in the name of saving bandwidth and unfortunatly WinMX is an easy target for such software.

I welcome you to come by the WinMXWorld.com Help room and do some live testing with users that are known to be working fine and any adjustments can be tested in live time, but I dont offer much hope that there will be anything more that can be done aside from you going back to your old provider or to another new one :/

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
I assume since you've been around WinMX a fair bit you know to just copy and paste that into the filter bar and click join.  Let them know you were asked to come by the room to test downloads and uploads and that we suspect the issues to be ISP.  Them knowing that some transfers do work is important (incase Im not at the PC when you come by).

Wish I had better news  :S

dtec498

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:32 am »
you were right, my provider was/is throttling the amount of bandwidth they allow for peer to peer sites. I spoke with the head of the department who agreed to increase the amount of bandwidth during regular business hours and open it wide open after 11pm local time until 5 or 6am then it gets kicked back again. It worked I have been able to download and others have been able to upload from me.

Thanks for all of your help, it was greatly appreciated.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  setting ports for modem not on portforward

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx