gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 12:44:03 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Trend Micro unveils anti-virus software for routers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Trend Micro unveils anti-virus software for routers  (Read 994 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Trend Micro unveils anti-virus software for routers
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:13:52 pm »
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20090217/tc_nm/us_trendmicro_1

Japan's Trend Micro Inc, the No 3 maker of computer security programs, introduced a new line of software on Tuesday that runs on home networking gear, protecting groups of PCs from viruses. The company, which touted the product as the first of its type, is also getting ready to unveil software that protects USB flash drives from infection, said Trend Micro Vice President Carol Carpenter. Trend Micro's new software for routers, dubbed Home Network Defender, will initially work on a few models from Cisco Systems Inc's Linksys division. New routers will be sold bundled with 30-day trial subscriptions to the service, while Linksys customers who have already bought those models can download trial software over the Internet. Carpenter said her company is the first to sell consumer security software that runs on routers, instead of personal computers. That approach allows the software to simultaneously protect multiple devices -- including video game consoles and phones, along with several PCs. It prevents users from accessing dangerous websites and allows parents to monitor their children's activities on the Web. Trend introduced the software as it fights for market share with Symantec Corp and McAfee Inc, the world's two biggest makers of security software. Trial versions of security software from these two companies are pre-loaded on PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard Co, Dell Inc and other large PC makers. PC makers charge the software companies for bundling those programs with their products, often signing exclusive deals with the highest bidder. Carpenter said Trend has signed few deals with PC makers because the bidding process sometimes makes them too expensive. Instead, Trend Micro has started developing products it can sell through new types of partnerships, such as the one with Cisco. Each subscription to Home Network Defender, which sells for $60 a year, includes subscriptions for Trend's traditional PC anti-virus software for four machines. The company also plans to package its PC software with its yet-to-be-unveiled security software for flash drives, which will come pre-installed on USB flash drives, Carpenter said. She also said Trend will be unveiling a third key product for consumers around the time of its annual analyst meeting in June. She declined to elaborate.

Two things to note... It's yet untried by large numbers of users and the additional cost.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Re: Trend Micro unveils anti-virus software for routers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:26:54 pm »
I think USB anti-virus will be like U3, where many people remove it due to slow loading speeds and other problems, but I've always liked the idea about putting anti-virus on the router instead of the PC. Zone Alarm made a router with a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spam protection combined for home use last year, but it didn't create any kind of technological revolution where everyone has one now. I think it would be cheaper for those who want to do things legitimately since you would only need 1 subscription for the router vs. subscriptions for every PC on the network. Plus, no anti-virus on the PC means no resources used. The PCs would be faster.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:36:02 pm »
I love this idea.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:23:28 pm »
Totally dumb idea, unless of course you want a router the size of a small box and stupid fans an heatsinks etc. You would be amazed at how hard a router already works without it trying to look inside every single packet, an what about encrypted traffic, all it will do is make people think i dont need a av on my pc as the router does it while  some kid just sits their laughing installing millions of trogens on your pc via a encrypted packet.

Really patheticly stupid idea, another chance for trend to get in the papers to push their already crap ware.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:22:33 am »
the funny part about this is its going into the already buggy linksys routers... so...  {insert -more- problems for the help room and forum here}

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Trend Micro unveils anti-virus software for routers

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx