gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:55:36 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft says it will sue whoever it pleases
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft says it will sue whoever it pleases  (Read 979 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Microsoft says it will sue whoever it pleases
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:58 am »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/168/1051168/microsoft-sue-pleases

MICROSOFT MAY or may not sue other open source operating systems, the firm's head intellectual property lawyer has said, speaking after the Vole filed suit against navigation system maker, TomTom, over the use of a Linux kernel. TomTom has found itself driven to the International Trade Commission for its alleged Linux misdemeanors, with Volish legal bod, Horacio Gutierrez, telling Cnet five counts of the firm's patent infringement pertained to car navigation systems, whilst another three took issue with the firm's Linux Kernel usage. Apparently, the Redmond giant hadn't given any special thought to the implications of including Linux in the legal dispute, with Gutierrez spluttering "that is not the focal point of the action." Gutierrez seemed adamant the case was simply about TomTom's copyright infringement and noted the Vole was a bit of a stickler for licencing agreements, whether those agreements included Linux or not. "Appreciation and respect for the open-source community is not inconsistent" with Microsoft's compulsion to defend its intellectual property, said Gutierrez. He went on to say the legal bashing did not change Microsoft's feelings towards open sauce in any way.

We assume this to mean the Vole hates Open Saucery just as much now as it did before the law suit.

That's one way of getting extra cash in I suppose.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Re: Microsoft says it will sue whoever it pleases
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:25:32 am »
I don't get it. Microsoft sued TomTom because they used Linux, not Windows. How does Microsoft have a case? What business do they have telling TomTom what OS they must use?
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:00:39 pm »
depends on all those secret agreements behind the doors and on the recipts after they get a contract to use a peice in their production.some IC manufacturerslike VIA have in the past had agreements saying that

"items made in a large scale production with product number:whatever has to be used with type"example" firmware to ensure the product works correctly if type "example" firmware is not used the performance of product number:whatever may be hindered thus resulting in reputational damages to VIA and its product number:whatever and a settlement for said damages may be received or taken through legal actions."

or something of the equivalent and im sure somewhere along the line microsoft has produced such an agreement in court that binds tomtom to using windows CE or mobile. but i would say the cost will be about what the licenses microsoft has lost and possible a little extra comp for bad publicity since this does look like a witch hunt. but on the bright side they may have broken this agreement on purpose knowing what the expense would be and used a linux kernel anyway to provide a better product.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:43:08 am »
I read some other news articles about it and got some more information. :)

Last year Microsoft claimed "Linux and other free and open-source software infringes on no fewer than 235 Microsoft patents". I think it's Microsoft's classic strategy of buy-out or destroy the competition by forcing companies to pay Microsoft (Like Taiwanese mouse maker Primax, Belkin, Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood) when they choose not to use Windows and instead go with the free, open source software option.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:30:39 am »
http://www.theinquirer.net  lmao knees do you have any corny celebrity news you can share with us as well?
RReactor

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:06:53 pm »
Reactor, I appreciate that not all the news items that I post are earth shattering. I try to give a cross section of news that I think might interest you. If you have any news items that you think should be posted please let me know as it will make my job a lot easier.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:03:43 pm »
knees i didn't know that you have become the news man for winmx im not insulting you and you know it just my sence of humor and you know that as well
RReactor

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft says it will sue whoever it pleases

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx