gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 07:54:51 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  cloud computing issue
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: cloud computing issue  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
cloud computing issue
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:07:40 am »
a guy i know that runs a local pc repair shop let me play around with a thin client and a sunmicrosystem server.
i tried running winmx under wine inside of a solaris distrobution capsule and it doesnt seem to work. however instead of porting winmx in the application if you put wine itself in the capsule then share it with the thin client along with a web browser you can download and install winmx on the client,

the downside.
with a 200mghz processor and 512 mb of ram within the thin client itself that doesnt leave much for winmx to work with.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: cloud computing issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:25:12 pm »
Seen as the commen man will prob never come accross cloud computing, and 90% of them wont know what the hell it is. Im sure not many care bacon lol.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:31 pm »
I agree, what I,m reading is a lot of posts regarding hypothetical scenarios that no one cares about except Bacon, perhaps we should coin the term "technical spam" for his output  ;)

Idea for Bacon: Stop making posts that help 0.000001% of the userbase and concentrate on getting a few folks together to create a platform agile client that then will not need all this advanced porting and messing about, just an idea of course  :lol:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:25:21 pm »
if the company you work at has a lousy IT and your dumb enough to risk your job... enough said :S

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:25:49 am »
Cloud computing is completely useless unless you have a couple of servers that you need to link together. It allows you to share resources while putting unused machines into standby.

Please explain to me how a company, even with 1000 machines used for word processing needs this. Explain to me how even if you need email for these 1000 computers how cloud computing can be useful.
In all fairness one server box running a email client and for file storage is more than enough. And seen as that setup probably covers a good 90% of all business's.

For me and you though at home, if you want to put three or more towers together to make a cloud then good on you. But seen as probably 60% of users on winmx only have one computer, and the other 40 maybe Has a PC and a laptop for the kids. I cant imagine anyone at all every attempting this to run winmx on other than maybe a experiment.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »
look up wellmount and holston medical group. they have over 3k terminals one in every exam room desk lab ect ect all hosting remote applications to do everything from the word processing and email you mentioned to controlling bone density scanners EKG MRI and several other resource intensive applications. again to the 90% of users this would only be usefull in a corporate work place where the applications arent on the end users machine.
this could even be used in something as simple as a little ceasers cash register

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:22:16 am »
Can I again ask what this all has to do with WinMX ?

I know your not a technical idiot bacon so surely you can think of something a little more on topic and to do with WinMX than what cloud computing  can do for cash registers ?

When you get ready to post something back to me, stop:  engage google and look up Napster ruling and how it applies to a centralised server mechanism then please continue posting as this really is as Deux said something purely for your own personal use if at all.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  cloud computing issue

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx