gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 08:02:05 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  New Plans
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Plans  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
New Plans
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:21:48 am »
Just letting everyone know I will be starting work on a new chat server, and a secondary client with file transfers. Nothing else to do at the moment since I have dropped all of my projects, (Except Southern Lights), so I hope to bring you some early betas soon.

I know I haven't had the best conversations on here lately, just wanted to get started on a new road.

:-)
- Josh

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
Re: New Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:01:14 am »
Thats great to hear, you have a talent and it will be nice to see it going to good use, if you  can come up with a chat server along the lines of fx server with the same kinda user interface i may be interested in that for sure !

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:37:40 am »
I'm interested in trying out your secondary client with file transfers. Hopefully people won't complain, like they did with your last project, causing you to discontinue work on it.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03:05 am »
Josh it's great to hear that your going to concentrate you skills and knowledge on something that a lot of users may find helpful and useful. I will have to agree with "birdman", i would like to see a Chat Server like FX Server with the same kind of GUI. There are a lot of people within our community Josh that have respect for you and know that you are capable.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:50:39 pm »
I'm interested in trying out your secondary client with file transfers. Hopefully people won't complain, like they did with your last project, causing you to discontinue work on it.
People complained with good reason & not just for the hell of it ....as josh says he wants to get started on a new road so if thats the case there will be nothing to complain about and a lot of praise going his way

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 04:46:52 am »
I also want I clear up the deal on the user searcher as some recent actions of mine have triggered some very scary realitys that your identity and private informaion is not completely annonymous as I have learned in the past few days after running a program that seemed like it was an indexer but it really just joined every room to get a total count of users. I did not take any usernames or Anthony like that and I ran it 10-20 times in the past 4 days. Just letting you know this is not an indexer and iam not making one. This counter will also not be run again as it has surely made tons of people mad and some to the point to pose as a comcast employee and contact my house accusing me of "crashing rooms". Which the call was a spoofed number. And comcast even confirmed was a fake call. And today geting a call asking for my dad by name.  This is a scary reality that I hope whoever is doing this will understand that I meant no harm by what you may have thought was an indexer.

Sharing the results of the counter too. About 10,000-12000 users average so looks like we're in good shape. 

- Josh

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:38:24 am »
* ..Ñøßߥ.. Rolls eyes...again

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 06:41:02 am »
I thought you were that AppleSeed person. You might have been able to get away with it if you had used the list of auto-generated names from your Room Filler program, but informing everyone before hand would have probably been a better idea.

I think that people are anonymous online, it's just that everyone on WinMx has read or heard about you at some point, so everyone knows your personal information. I think it's sad that someone on WinMx would harass you, when you're trying to help the WinMx community.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:06:19 am »
have to agree with ya there nobby :/

....he just couldnt leave it alone apparently....

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 07:17:17 am »
Firstly iam sorry to hear that Josh it is very sad to hear that someone is harrasing you at home, iam assuming this person knew you was using this programe to count users in the rooms ?   i must say i never noticed anything but i guess after all the fuss about the indexer to use somthing simular without asking rooms was asking for trouble but not to the degree you have recieved

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 07:23:02 am »
@birdman -- from the room ops point of view it might as well have been the indexer (before this post how would they know?) .... josh is sh*tting in his own back yard... again... i would say the phonecall was par for the course....

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 08:06:27 am »
Rather easy to detect when the same IP joins the room over and over with different nicknames and leaves after a stay of about 10 seconds. I'm oke with all kinds of tests and willing to set up most brands of rooms as long as I know what is going on and as long as it is helping the community. In all other cases an IP ban will be the result in all rooms I host and maybe more.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 08:25:46 am »
(removed)   removed my post askin for info as i dont want to be involved or seem to be involved in any kind of witch hunt i just find this whole scinario  disturbing

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 09:05:58 am »
josh... after thinking about this for a bit... lets just say this.... you know i dont like you... but i only voice it here.... i wouldnt wish or do you, or any other MXer for that matter, any physical harm...  but a phonephreak (the oldschool hackers) called you about this thing.... you might want to rethink your steps... if they are calling you whats next?

dont just leap into something... LOOK FIRST.... and then do some serious thinking about WHAT it is you are looking at.... then if its ok... and only if its ok... leap....

it only takes that one loony lurker in that one chatroom.... and.... well... you get the picture...

if they've got your number then they've got more than just your number... try keeping your nose clean so your head doesnt (possibly literally) end up on the chopping block.... ok?

Deux, your little bird is wandering astray.... .....would you mind keeping a closer eye....?

oh.... and um..
* Silver Stripes gives Deux another slice of that 'humble pie'.....

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 09:57:21 am »
This room scanning tool that Josh has admitted to was detected days ago and I personally sent him a warning that if I saw it again there would be consequences, for those wanting to check their logs look for a user who visited with diff names, files counts and line types originating from the same IP on the 17th and 18th (depending on your location). Since then I have not seen his tool in operation.

I can fully understand why someone may spoof their phone details to contact Josh and whilst I dont condone this sort of activity I hope Josh realises at last that we the community are not the blind or the stupid he may sometimes think. The disappointing thing here is that I,m sure if he had mentioned some testing prior to carrying it out  we would all have been more than happy to help or allow his activities, unfortuntely suspicion runs deep and we need a sign of good faith now and again.

I hope you pay attention Josh and take on board our rights to privacy, if you wish to do more testing please let the folks know by posting beforehand as I,m sure every host was put to the task of tracking your IP that kept entering and leaving in a suspicious manner, its a fine line between learning to walk and stamping on users rights, be sure to address this balance next time you do something that affects those rights.

To the person that did phone Josh : Please bear in mind two wrongs dont make a right and I think he got the message. 

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:27:04 am »
As i have many ins and outs in my room any chance of a username or the start of the ip  to narrow my search in the logs please ?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 03:18:03 pm »
Its pissed me off though that what made you think that running a room counter was any different from a indexer. I see many are being patient with you josh but i put my fine name on the fact that you would toe the line. An you are far from doing so. In all honesty even now im loosing the will to stand up for you and give you a chance. In all fairness i think your starting to take the piss too much and seen as its my name you muddying im seeing no other option than to ban you again. Your here on borrowed terms. An you obviously have no respect for what i have done for you. As you would never pull a stunt like this with out speaking to me or the others first. You have no idea how deeply disappointed i am an feel you are leaving me no option other than to return you to the banned status and try and correct the damage to my name you are causing..
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »
There is no need to mention IP or even part of IP.
As ghost mentioned the tool has not been used last day's
The only reason I mentioned this "roomhopping" is to make sure you all know there are people watching the peer and warn the one who caused these symptoms.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 11:42:20 pm »
curious; has it been added to the blocklist?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 12:24:49 am »
It has not, I issued a warning in the first instance and it seems to have been heeded, rest assured folks as Wonderer pointed out we are monitoring the network for your protection and we try where possible to neutralise any potential threats where possible without causing alarm, only when the "advice" stage fails do we make a public declaration to gather community support, at this stage our warning was heeded and no further action is required.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  New Plans

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx