gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 09:13:50 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  NIN Launches BitTorrent Tracker for New Release
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: NIN Launches BitTorrent Tracker for New Release  (Read 578 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
NIN Launches BitTorrent Tracker for New Release
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:35:47 pm »
Trent Reznor, the frontman of Nine Inch Nails has always been pro-filesharing and admitted to downloading music using BitTorrent. Unlike others in the music biz, the NIN members are no stranger to BitTorrent.

“We use torrents ourselves, and we know that most NIN fans are tech-savvy and familiar with file-sharing, so we want to experiment with ways to use that to our advantage, instead of making the mistake of trying to fight or ignore it, as so many artists and labels do.” NIN’s Art Director Rob Sheridan explained to TorrentFreak last year.

In fact, when they released the album ‘Ghosts‘ for free last year their server couldn’t handle the high traffic numbers and downloads, so the linked to the torrents they had uploaded to The Pirate Bay instead. Thanks to The Pirate Bay, many fans didn’t have to wait till the server recovered, and the torrent quickly became one of the most downloaded files on the tracker.

With the release of their tour promo NIN/JA today, NIN decided to prevent similar server troubles, and the band now offers .torrent downloads for the higher quality (and size) downloads. The tracker used for the torrents is hosted by the band itself on the tracker.nin.com subdomain. The tracker is already being used by thousands of fans just hours after it went up.

Self-hosted BitTorrent trackers may become a new hype. Two weeks ago, the government-owned Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) had set up its very own BitTorrent tracker to distribute some of their TV-shows.

Thus far, we haven’t spotted NIN’s tour sampler on any of the public torrent sites, but it won’t take long before it spreads. The official website requires people to submit their email address in order to get the links to the DRM-free downloads. It’s well worth it though.

Update: Apparently the tracker at nin.com was also used for some of the previous releases, we were not aware of this.
Torrentfreak

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: NIN Launches BitTorrent Tracker for New Release
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:49:59 pm »
Not my cup of tea but these guys do rock the p2p world with there forward thinking & cutting out the grasping middle men ..... i hope they get all the success due to them and show others the way forward whilst firmly kicking the riia & co in the nuts  :-D

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: NIN Launches BitTorrent Tracker for New Release
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:23:13 pm »
haha i remember that i downloaded the flac and ogg versions of the album. they also threw together a lyrics sheet that was available if you was to buy it in stores at a discounted price.
awsome band too cant say much for their followers went to a concert in 05 9 people shipped out via ambulance due to overdoses within the first hour
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  NIN Launches BitTorrent Tracker for New Release

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx