gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 02:50:10 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Information Exchange  |  Useful Anti-Snooping Tool For UK Citizens
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Useful Anti-Snooping Tool For UK Citizens  (Read 3167 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Useful Anti-Snooping Tool For UK Citizens
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:18:58 am »
Due to a recent UK government order placed on UK ISP companies, can I remind all WinMX users of this useful tool that will help them avoid giving up their privacy to those who seek to steal it.

http://www.torproject.org/overview.html.en

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis.

Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol.

Simply install and place the proxy IP and port in your browsers connection settings to get some measure of your privacy restored.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Re: Useful Anti-Snooping Tool For UK Citizens
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:25:15 pm »
Tor is slow, and it takes the developers forever to make any changes to it. Firefox 3.0 has been out for a long time now, and they've just now released the plugin that doesn't leak personal information.

I wish they would hurry up and fix the problem with running Tor on Windows. There's a known bug that makes it crash after being opened several hours. I tried the registry edits suggested in the wiki, but they didn't help. I bet Tor would be faster if the Windows user crowd were able to let themselves be proxy servers for more than a few hours.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:00:10 pm »
there has also been malicious use of tor as a sniffer.... (fake nodes) to get personal info....

so um.... be carefull....

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:47 am »
I don't know of any personal info I use when browsing the web, if folks are going to purchase things on a credit card I suggest the use of ssl and with TOR off.
As I made clear I hope in my original post if your going to use TOR its purely to help cover your web browsing habits, I haven't so far seen any delays in using it to view pages and even if I did see any I think being patient is worth the extra privacy I gain.

I don't think its secure enough to plot assassinations with but to hide anyone's web viewing habits from nosey ISP companies that sniff merely that segment of information (and email headers) its ideal.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:03:06 am »
Firefox 3.0 has been out for a long time now, and they've just now released the plugin that doesn't leak personal information.

Would this would be 'Better Privacy', or something else?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Information Exchange  |  Useful Anti-Snooping Tool For UK Citizens

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx