gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 08:10:27 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Woman who plays classical music to soothe horses told to get licence
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Woman who plays classical music to soothe horses told to get licence  (Read 2472 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5061004/Woman-who-plays-classical-music-to-soothe-horses-told-to-get-licence.html

Rosemary Greenway has been playing passages of opera and orchestral symphonies on the radio to the animals at her stables for more than 20 years, convinced that it helps soothe them. While not all of her staff are quite as fond of the output of Classic FM as she is, Mrs Greenway, 62, kept the radio tuned to the station religiously while mucking out because of the apparent benefits. But she has dropped the practice after being told that she must pay a £99 annual licence fee as it constitutes a "performance". Because her stables, the Malthouse Equestrian Centre in Bushton, Wilts, employs more than two people it is treated in the same way as shops, bars and cafés which have to apply for a licence to play the radio. She received a telephone call from the Performing Right Society – now officially known as PRS for Music – which was targeting stables as part of a drive to get commercial premises to pay for licences. Rather than pay the fee, she now leaves the radio off except on Sundays when she is alone at the stable yard. "I actually use my radio for the benefit of the horses as Classic FM helps them relax," she said. "The staff are not bothered whether they have the radio on or not, in fact they don't particularly like my music and turn if off when I'm not around." Mrs Greenway, who keeps 11 horses at the stables, added: “You would have thought that playing music to your own horses was allowable but apparently not. “Especially on windy days I try to play it - it gives them a nice quiet atmosphere, you can only exercise one horse at a time so it helps the others to stay calm. “We are right next to the RAF Lyneham air base so it dulls the noise from the aircraft as well.” A spokeswoman for the society said: "Of course, we don't ask people to pay for music played to animals. "Mrs Greenway was only asked to pay for music played for staff, like any other workplace."
She added that the stables might qualify for a new reduced fee of just over £50 if there are fewer than four employees. It is the latest in a series of seemingly unlikely places to be told that they constituted performing venues and were liable for a licence if they played the radio. Charity shops run by the mental health group Mind were told to switch off their radios last year while the organisation held discussions with the society after discovering that it was liable for licence payments. Chris Doran, senior executive at the British horse Society, said that the organisation had received several calls from stables reporting calls from the society. "I think they are an easy target because these people are working outside all the time, they are more likely to put the radio on while mucking out or feeding," she said.
She added that because of the "abrupt" tone of some of the calls many stable owners suspected initially that it was a hoax call. Last year a study at Belfast Zoo found evidence that playing Elgar, Puccini and Beethoven to elephants helped reduce stress related behaviours such as swaying, pacing and tossing their trunks. An American harpist reported that her music helped calm sick dogs at a Florida vet's clinic and one online retailer sells specially selected CDs for cats

This is getting beyond a joke. The station transmitting the music already pays a fee to be able to transmit the music. How many times does the music industry want paying for the same thing. Once, twice, three or more times or just as often as they can screw money out of us?  :yes:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Woman who plays classical music to soothe horses told to get licence
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:46:59 pm »
You have it right bees, Just like a Roth IRA Fund.
We pay an income tax. Then we pay taxs when we transfer it into the Roth, and every year the Roth is taxed again (with its interest and additional money thats supplied) and you pay a seperate tax on the interest. Overkill isn't it?
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:12:41 pm »
* Silver Stripes files this in the "WTF" category.....

first off old (bach, beethoven, handel, etc) classical music is in the public domain ......

id tell the POS PRS to shove the radio so far up their ___ that they would be spitting vacuum tubes... then download public domain; http://musopen.com/music.php or creative commons; www.creativecommons.org classical music and burn it to CD...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:29:15 pm »
From the looks of it, they are not trying to get her to pay for the music that she used. they are trying to make her pay for how many people are listening to it.
But if this is the case how many teachers play movies for kids in school. how many times has more then two people been not only in or aroudn your house but within listening range of music.
IMO i think she pissed off the wrong person.
and this
now officially known as PRS for Music – which was targeting stables as part of a drive to get commercial premises to pay for licences.
doesnt help anything.
seems they are just trying to make a name for themselves by giving old ladies with horses hell.
She has a rather interesting Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Rosemary-Greenway/1270155763
As for finding a reputable news source (a news paper, radio station or public broadcast tv news station ) that had this article i didnt find one within the first 3 pages of google.

As for PSR they have been around since 1914.
They're policies in relation to this story seem kind of off.

This section applies to you if you run and market your premises as a live music venue, e.g. people usually come to your venue primarily to listen to live music and they would not normally gain access to your venue without passing by a box office or via any type of ticketing system.  Therefore this section does not apply to pubs and nightclubs which may feature live music but are run and marketed as a pub or nightclub.
The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 means that if you use copyright music in public, you must first obtain the permission from every writer or composer whose music you or hirers of your venue intend to play.  A Music Licence from PRS for Music grants you the legal permission to play just about any copyright music which is written and published by our members and those of our affiliated societies worldwide.

You will have a hotline direct to the music experts.
You will be able to take advantage of the variable price mechanism based on a percentage of copyright music as a proportion of the programme at classical music events. This rate must be applied for annually, at the anniversary of the licence.
You will only be charged for our music.  For book musicals, operas and ballets, you can contact the PRS for Music Concert Sales Centre who will assist in advising you which publisher you should contact to get clearance.
You will have direct control over your music budget.
There is even the chance of a discount (under certain circumstances).
You can choose a suitable billing period (monthly, quarterly or six monthly in arrears).

The only copyrights i can see being infringed would be copyrights on the recording itself of the song and not the song.

And with this
PRS for Music publishes over 40 public performance tariffs, appropriate to the different categories of premises and types of performances. The following tariffs that would relate to music venues and that are dealt with via our Concert Sales Centre are:

Popular Music - Tariff LP
Classical Music - Tariff LC
Free Popular Music Events - Tariff GP
Theatres - Tariff T
Variety Shows  -Tariff V

this pdf : http://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PPS%20Tariffs/Tariff%20LC.pdf

Explains why they have the right to charge the fees for the music.

Source: http://www.prsformusic.com/playingbroadcastingonline/live_venues_events/concertvenues/Pages/concertvenues.aspx

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:13:23 pm »
yet more reasons to ditch the 'static box' and burn CDs.... hell id have a mix disc for each horse...

i dont have a facebook account and i dont enable JS for sites i dont trust so the facebook link doesnt really do anything but show a handfull of pics of ppl and a white cat...

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »
They will probably go after skating rinks next. :/
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
i dont know if i quoted the section that was on the page about ticketed venues.
But there is a different permit for them. and as the news article says resteraunts shops ect ect are already required to have a similar permit.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:54:55 am »
It's sad that our music world has come to this as the norm.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:38:38 am »
you have really got to be kidding how could that many words come from a subject like that
RReactor

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:45:06 pm »

But if this is the case how many teachers play movies for kids in school.

Huh, thats already begun dude: http://torrentfreak.com/hollywood-enforcers-illegally-demand-money-from-kindergartens-081005/

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 06:17:09 pm »
I think if it had been me I'd have fired the 2 assholes that obviously got the trouble started anyway and then made sure the next people I hired had no problem listening to classical music. Would've solved everything and then some, lol :P
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »

But if this is the case how many teachers play movies for kids in school.

Huh, thats already begun dude: http://torrentfreak.com/hollywood-enforcers-illegally-demand-money-from-kindergartens-081005/
Oh yeah, and my girls watch pirated movies all the time at school that their teachers bring. She sees almost all the good movies before they're released to the public, lol.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 01:13:34 am »
This all revolves in essence around the interpretation of a public performance, this is not normally applied to employees but would come into play if anyone visiting the establishment was able to overhear the music being played, this is of course allowing that it wasn't copyright expired and old recordings that where in the public domain as the musicians are allowed to receive revenue for modern recordings or performing and recording of out-of-copyright pieces, thus in effect copyright seems never to end and creativity is very often stifled by greed.

You,ll see the same trick time and again in the UK, artists work reaches the end of copyright period and they release a best of "digitally remastered" version or some such to try to grab another 50 years of copyright protection, this should be outlawed as its purely a mechanism to try to extend the time the public has to wait before the work falls into the public domain, we make a deal with the artists to pay for their offerings at an expensive rate for 50 years if they want 100 years protection then perhaps our half of the deal is to pay half the current amount for their work, this I believe is fair.

There are some sites on the internet that have original old recording that have not been "digitally remastered" and these are ok to play to horses etc although for some of the newer pieces the composer/song writer is still entitled to a fee for their creative work as this right is longer than copyright.

I hope you all see now why I urge you to create your own works and then the selfish commercial creativity monopolisers (Cartel) will be out of pocket...yours for certain  :lol:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Woman who plays classical music to soothe horses told to get licence

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx