gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 10, 2024, 05:56:07 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Canada: ‘highest level of movie piracy’
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Canada: ‘highest level of movie piracy’  (Read 501 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Canada: ‘highest level of movie piracy’
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/19901

"The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development has estimated that Canada has the highest level of online piracy in the world,” according to Universal Music Group boss Zach Horowitz. The OECD said nothing of the kind. Horowitz is following the well-used entertainment industry tactic of deliberately and incorrectly quoting a 2004 OECD report. Although the OECD refers to P2P, it says absolutely nothing about whether or not file sharing infringes copyrights, and certainly doesn’t list Canada as having “the highest level of online piracy in the world”. “In fact,” said p2pnet at the time, “the same report specifically notes that ‘P2P is not simply downloading of MP3 files. In fact, file sharing has already moved to the next level and will be applied for all types of on-line information, data distribution, grid computing and distributed file systems’.” Nonetheless, using it as a hook, Canada should be question about its, “legal deficiencies, such as the lack of authority Canadian customs officials have to seize counterfeit goods,” CNet News quotes Horowitz as saying, going on: “Ask them to explain their reputation as a nation unfriendly to the policies at the heart of copyright — and the realities of the borderless digital marketplace.” Horowitz spoon-fed the Hollywood lie to a congressional committee headed up, in an amazing coincidence, by long-time studio politician Hollywood Howard Berman who used the fact someone leaked “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” onto the P2P networks as a frontispiece. Even the use of the X-Men leak is Hollywood misdirection. Cammers do their thing for their own amusement. Everyone else watches the crystal-clear uploads from people working directly or indirectly for Time Warner, Viacom, Fox, Sony, NBC Universal and Disney, or from copies ripped from DVDs released long after the feature flicks have already made their money for the major studios. Hollywood claims it’s being devasted, utterly totalled, by kids with camcorders — especially in Canada. But, “We’ve had the first billion-dollar January, the biggest February ever and now a record-breaking opening for the beginning of April,” Bloomberg News has Media By Numbers’ Paul Dergarabedian declaring joyously, going on: “Summer is just around the corner and maybe the first $10 billion year could be reached if we continue at this pace.” And, “Universal Pictures’ action sequel ‘Fast & Furious’ posted the best opening weekend of 2009 with $71 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales, extending a string of hits as Hollywood runs up the box-office tally,” says the story. How can that be? The movie has now replaced the X-Men leak as one of the most popular P2P network downloads. Will Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper now issue a press release  demanding an immediate apology and retraction from Horowitz over his outrageous, and very official, statement? No need to stay tuned on that. And the flow of Hollywood BS and lies will continue to be quoted by the lamescream media as fact while our ‘polticians’ will continue to put their own interests, and those of the corporiations who keep them afloat, before those of the people who elected them.

Truth seems to be decidedly lacking when it comes to comments from spokes persons for the entertainment industry. I remember a politician coining the phrase, "being economical with the truth".  In my day it was just called a lie.  :o

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Canada: ‘highest level of movie piracy’
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:24:42 am »
I thought Japan was shown to be the highest several times over for many years in a row. How did Canada take the lead?
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Canada: ‘highest level of movie piracy’

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx