gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 10:17:10 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Pirate bay verdict - GUILTY
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pirate bay verdict - GUILTY  (Read 1438 times)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
Pirate bay verdict - GUILTY
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:16 pm »
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-trial-the-verdict-090417/

Just minutes ago the verdict in the case of The Pirate Bay Four was announced. All four defendants were accused of ‘assisting in making copyright content available’. Peter Sunde: Guilty. Fredrik Neij: Guilty. Gottfrid Svartholm: Guilty. Carl Lundström: Guilty. The four receive 1 year in jail each and fines totaling $3,620,000.

Thats the dumbest ruling i have ever heard, but not a surprising one, ding ding round 2 on its way soon with the appeals. Reading the decision in detail i suspect search engines the world over could be dragged into this also.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Pirate bay verdict - GUILTY
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:05:53 pm »
accused of ‘assisting in making copyright content available’.
I suspect more then search engines, what about the people who created the internet, ISPs , Network adapter manufacturers and the people that designed them. Hell with that verdict even the operating system vendors and pc manufacturers who sell all of the above could be sued.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:43:36 pm »
accused of ‘assisting in making copyright content available’.
I suspect more then search engines, what about the people who created the internet, ISPs , Network adapter manufacturers and the people that designed them. Hell with that verdict even the operating system vendors and pc manufacturers who sell all of the above could be sued.

Agreed

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:02:03 pm »
* Silver Stripes looks at the record button on his VCR

does that fit into the same category as well? ... it assists in infringing copyright after all...

oh wait... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._v._Universal_City_Studios

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:09:45 pm »
The broader legal consequence of the Court's decision was its establishment of a general test for determining whether a device with copying or recording capabilities ran afoul of copyright law. This test has created some interpretative challenges to courts in applying the case to more recent file sharing technologies available for use on home computers and over the Internet.
WOW............
so torrenting another persons recorded TV show as long as it has say the fox watermark is legit?
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:48:24 am »
I'm not surprised by the verdict.

I don't like it, but I'm not suprised in the least.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 04:26:35 am »
I don't understand why each of them got a one year prison sentence. It was a civil case. Jail is for criminal cases.

I'm glad the site itself was never on trial, only the four individuals. That means TPB will still be online.

How they all got the same sentence was strange to me since Carl Lundström had very little to do with TPB.

I guess I'll wait for the appeals to take place. It will be interesting to see how the Court of appeal and The Supreme Court rule.
- Have a nice explosive day.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Pirate bay verdict - GUILTY

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx