gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:31:51 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Big US ISPs Roll Out Push Polling to Stop Cheap Internet
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Big US ISPs Roll Out Push Polling to Stop Cheap Internet  (Read 786 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Big US ISPs Roll Out Push Polling to Stop Cheap Internet
« on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:36 am »
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86081/big-us-isps-roll-out-push-polling-to-stop-cheap-internet/

There’s been some dramatic developments in the Greenlight project happening in North Carolina. Essentially, the big US ISPs are doing everything in their power including lobbying the state to make it illegal to set up a superior ISP in the area. Now, reports are coming in that say that the big US ISPs are using push polling over the phones to get customers to side with legislation that would kill faster and cheaper broadband. It’s a staple in every conspiracy theory against a mega corporation. A mega company that has overwhelming power in a set market place locking away any kind of innovation that would pose a threat to its business model. Right now, it’s happening with high speed internet. For those that have missed this controversy, Daily Tech has a very nice round-up of the big controversy surrounding government initiated broadband. In a nutshell, a city in North Carolina got tired of slow internet for prices that have gone through the roof and getting even more expensive. So, the city took matters in their own hands and rolled out fibre optic cables throughout the city. The service, currently named Greenlight Inc., approached the Time Warner Cable and Embarq, proposing they use the infrastructure for a more reliable and faster internet connection for a cheaper price. The big cable companies refused, so the government was left with all this infrastructure with no support from the big telecom companies. After doing some research, the government found out that the service would be extremely cheap to run and would give the government huge profits. So, they decided to run Greenlight Inc. themselves. Unfortunately for Greenlight Inc., Embarq and Time Warner Cable found out about this and realized that they would be competing against an ISP that was faster, more reliable and cheaper. So, the ISPs went to the North Carolina state senate and lobbied for legislation that would effectively either cripple or ban the service all together. Recently legislation was tabled in the state government. Senate bill 1004 and House Bill 1252 which are both dubbed “Level the playing field”. Unsurprisingly, the city is reacting to try and stop the legislation. Among other things, they started their own blog to raise awareness of the issue. Now, it seems that there is a report on there that says that the big ISPs are using push polling to gain support of H1252 in the city. “Phones are ringing in Wilson. There’s a new poll about HB 1252 that is apparently designed with leading questions about municipal broadband.” Writes Brian, the writer of the blog. He continues, “It includes questions that, as a friend put it, can’t possibly be answered correctly without siding with certain cable and or telco providers.”

Further from the blog posting:
I’m guessing a couple of the industry execs will use it this week to convince lawmakers that Wilson citizens don’t need their system.
The same poll, or a similar one, has also popped up in Salibury. This weekend, several people there reported getting phone polls that led them to the same conclusion about their new network. Salisbury is network now that is similar to Wilson’s. One poll. Two cities. One intended result. It seems that ISPs are working around the clock to maintain the status quo - and their monopolies.

Another example of ISPs not giving a damn about customers. Just going for high profits.  :x

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Big US ISPs Roll Out Push Polling to Stop Cheap Internet
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:37:29 pm »
I see a few things worth pointing out that make me want to see these bills

approached the Time Warner Cable and Embarq, proposing they use the infrastructure for a more reliable and faster internet connection for a cheaper price. The big cable companies refused,
Embarq is a reseller of sprint phone/DSL not cable

The big cable companies refused, so the government was left with all this infrastructure with no support from the big telecom companies.

You just said they were cable companies?
Now you want to say their phone?
Yes Embarq is phone and theres twtelecom but you mentioned timewarner cable not twtelecom.
according to this :http://www.twtelecom.com/about_us/networks.html
twtelecom doesnt have service there.....
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:18 pm »
Forested please note, I am not the author of the article ( I would refer you to the link at the top). Also I am not a resident of the United States. I have to take articles like this one in good faith and I comment on them accordingly. Your comments as regards accuracy would be better sent to the original writer.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:30 pm »
Those weren't direct at YOU as much as they were the article in general, and for whoever reads it.
As for the history of this company the article is questionable, but the company seems to have been in buissness for a good while already.
http://www.greenlightnc.com/home/packages/

As for being cheaper and profits they're definately making a killing.
Cheapest bundle is 99 bux (same as comcast) but its almost worth it since its symmetrical 10/10.

As they offer cable I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the original auther combined two points into two fragments and mixed them.
Where they went to Embarq for Phone and internet as well as to Time warner cable for cable and internet.
Where in both cases they were turned down.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Big US ISPs Roll Out Push Polling to Stop Cheap Internet

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx