gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:48:17 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsofts decides what apps you can use.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsofts decides what apps you can use.  (Read 654 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Microsofts decides what apps you can use.
« on: May 21, 2009, 03:03:49 am »
source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10245846-56.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0
Microsoft on Tuesday was granted a patent for a way of limiting access to certain features of an operating system depending on whether a user has paid for those features.
The patent, titled "Restricted software and hardware usage on a computer," covers a means by which it can offer software that has features either enabled or not enabled depending on which edition a user has purchased. It's a concept already in use at the company.
Microsoft has already said it will offer all versions of Windows 7 on a single disc, with a particular product key unlocking the features that come with that edition. Users will be able to upgrade to a higher-end version of Windows 7 just by purchasing a new product key, Microsoft has said.
It is not clear that the patented technology is used for this, although the two sound very similar to me. One piece of the application deals with the scenario in which "a consumer initially purchases a computer with restricted functionality at a price that is less than the price that would be charged for a computer with full functionality."
"Subsequently, the user can, at an additional cost, acquire a digital key that allows the restrictions to be removed, upgrading the computer to full functionality," Microsoft said.
Although Microsoft has long touted the general-purpose nature of Windows, it notes in its patent applications the need to offer different versions with different features.
"One problem inherent in open architecture systems is they are generally licensed with complete use rights and/or functionality that may be beyond the need or desire of the system purchaser," Microsoft said. "Consequentially, the purchase price of these systems being indifferent to usage scenarios means users with limited needs pay the same rate for these systems as those with universal needs."
With Windows, there have long been home and professional versions. During its long life span, Windows XP also added the Starter, Media Center, and Tablet PC editions.
With Vista, Microsoft added the Home Premium, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions. In that case, users could also move from one version to another, although it required the use of a separate disk.
The awarding of the patent was noted earlier on Wednesday on Slashdot.
now you know microsoft will side with the mpaa to make a quick buck
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Re: Microsofts decides what apps you can use.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:03:32 am »
and this policy is how M$ expects to sell their product?
My pc performs screamingly well on ancient yet less than fashionable win2k.
I have tried 7 and Vista. Vista was slow as molasses in january, 7 is a tad faster but it doesn't fully work untill I purchase a brand new and expensive pc.
The thing cannot even recognize my network card as it was made in the last century.
Sure, i'm going to run out and spend thousands of dollars for no particular reason just so I can run 7 and get all manner of candy graphics with the added delight of allowing some third party to decide what I may and may not do in my own home, on my own pc.
That kinda thinking has got to change unless M$ wants to be put into a position where they require stimulus money from the government to survive.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:28:54 am »
My pc performs screamingly well on ancient yet less than fashionable win2k.

its amazing how 'low end' you can get and still have that OS run... 233mhz and 128mb ram is my current record... i may try for a 486DX2 @ 66mhz one day... but those kind of machines usually end up with linux >.>

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »
with the added delight of allowing some third party to decide what I may and may not do in my own home, on my own pc.
That kinda thinking has got to change unless M$ wants to be put into a position where they require stimulus money from the government to survive.
In countries where citizen ship and thought control are priority this will fly over great.
My thought is they are trying to increase their foothold in countries like china.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:28:10 am »
Microsoft has been doing this for years already. All of there OS discs come with the full power of pro versions and now ultimate versions. They integrated this into Vista from the start. Fail to register it and see what I mean. After the time limit all you get is a Windows icon and internet explorer which directs you straight to their site to register and or buy a new key. I don't see anything in the original post that says I can't install cd/dvd burning software and burn discs. For them to deny you the ability to use freeware tools for your pc that you purchased would be considered most likely highly illegal and extremely unethical. While ethics has never seemed to be top priority for MS I really think the fact they could end up needing "bailout" as a result of an extreme lack of sales due unagreeable and unethical business practices COULD change the way they feel they should do business.   :yes:

P.S. I really don't see something like this lasting long as it forces users to submit to a monopoly sort of thing. This is also the reason hardware developers are not allowed to make proprietory motherboards, vid cards, moniters, and other such pc hardware. To give other software developers fair opportunity.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsofts decides what apps you can use.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx