gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:50:51 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  The RIAA Has Got to Stop
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The RIAA Has Got to Stop  (Read 745 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
The RIAA Has Got to Stop
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:42:49 pm »
The RIAA, whose officers are generally reviled, continues to do a disservice to its members—if research data is correct.

According to a study done by the BBI Norwegian School of Management, those who freely download music from file-sharing sites and elsewhere buy ten times more music (yes, they actually pay for it) than people who do not participate in file-sharing systems. In fact, the figure that the report cites for the amount spent by the file-sharing subculture is so high that the record industry doesn't believe it. Well, I sure do, mainly because of an observation I made back in the late 1990s. And I've harped on this observation ever since. This research just confirms my suspicions.

The simple fact is that during the Napster era—a period in which there was no significant musical movement that would trigger any excitement in the business—CD sales increased. As Napster got bigger, sales continued to increase. As Napster was shut down, you could see CD sales decline, and once they put the lid on open file-sharing, the industry went into a tailspin. I never believed this to be a coincidence.

The RIAA and the music industry in general blamed the tailspin on Napster and piracy, harping on the concept of "stealing." The overlooked fact in all this was that with the advent of national radio syndicates and the niche programming that began to flourish in the '90s, people were not easily introduced to new music. There were fewer ways to discover bands and music you liked so that you could go buy those CDs in the first place. This coincided with the demise of the disc jockey (a music nut who kept tabs on trends). The record industry was essentially doomed at this moment of change.
Read more of the article on PCMAG.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: The RIAA Has Got to Stop
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:31 pm »
According to a study done by the BBI Norwegian School of Management, those who freely download music from file-sharing sites and elsewhere buy ten times more music (yes, they actually pay for it) than people who do not participate in file-sharing systems.

friend1: hey dude listen to this mp3 i found
friend2: wow! these guys are great! where did you find this group??
friend1: found it on <insert p2p app here>, got the whole album. it -all- rocks...
friend2: <after downloading the rest of the tracks and more from another album by same group> crap im getting this on CD.... do they tour??

now if the music industry would just realise that things like that do indeed happen they would STFU and enjoy the free ride on the p2prs bandwidth....

c'est la vie....

-edit: fixed my ubb code oops-

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:21:18 am »
I buy nothing.
However, the reason is not p2p. It is quality (or the lack of).
For instance, since this is the 21st century, certain music I would pay for. As an example...
'Elvis Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite' (don't make fun please, I happen to think that was the peak of Elvis's talent and career, and so what? I like Elvis. lol) I would pop a woody IF I could purchase a cd of that redone from the original 29 track master into lets say dolby surround 5.1 . Can I buy that? Hell no. Not even for one million dollars. I would happily pay $20, but guess what, the record companies aka RIAA are entirely too cheap to produce anything involving Quality. WTF is their problem?
Do they think it's more profitable to simply whine and bitch how they aren't making money the way they used to back in 1973?
Offer something worth buying, then maybe people will buy.
Ordinary cd type music, and mp3s as well, are far below what Could be done with todays technology for even the oldest music.
Even the ancient original album pressed from vinyl of the above mentioned concert is more advanced than what there is available today. It at least was made in 4 channel quadraphonic stereo and without sillyness like mega compression of dynamic range to make it 'sound louder' like is so popular now.
Maybe some buy more music after a download, but not me. The slight increase of quality offered by a cd Vs. an mp3 of the same 2 channel, purposely compressed music isn't something I think I want to waste money on.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:17:49 pm »
Speaking of which if you want to compare media, Once you have taken into account average income and price inflation.
Vinyls and cassettes were far cheaper back in the day then compared to cds now.
I remember my relatives telling me they could buy 3 hershey bars or a cassette in the 80's
Any more $20 is a standard incriment of money. it buys dinner for two , a fan to cool the house , a master brake cylinder for a car,  a tank of gas for the average mid sized sedan, a wireless card, or a single audio cd.
I think the priorities of the modern lifestyle and the minimum level of desired comfort weed out the desire for compact discs.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  The RIAA Has Got to Stop

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx