gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 01:46:31 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings  (Read 821 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:20:46 am »
ASCAP (the same folks who went after Girl Scouts for singing around a campfire) appears to believe that every time your musical ringtone rings in public, you're violating copyright law by "publicly performing" it without a license. At least that's the import of a brief [2.5mb PDF] it filed in ASCAP's court battle with mobile phone giant AT&T.

This will doubtless come as a shock to the millions of Americans who have legitimately purchased musical ringtones, contributing millions to the music industry's bottom line. Are we each liable for statutory damages (say, $80,000) if we forget to silence our phones in a restaurant?

ASCAP's outlandish claim is part of its battle with major mobile carriers (including Verizon and AT&T) over whether ASCAP is owed any money for "public performances" of the musical ringtones sold by the carriers. The carriers point out that the owners of the musical compositions (i.e., songwriters and music publishers) are already paid for each ringtone download, but ASCAP claims that it's owed another royalty for the "public performances" (i.e., ringing in a restaurant) of those same ringtones.
EFF

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
Re: ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:57:43 am »
If this stupidity goes on it might going to be very costly to win the Olympics for instance...
How much will they take to have the national hymn of the winners played.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:29:45 am »
i wonder how big of a fine you would get slapped with if your ringtone were white noise (static) ... since it contains every frequency needed to produce every song in exsistance...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:49 pm »
i wonder how big of a fine you would get slapped with if your ringtone were white noise (static) ... since it contains every frequency needed to produce every song in exsistance...
idk that this applies for other countries  but......

3G cell phones operate at a frequency in which they cause interference with pretty much all conventional speaker near by.
usually producing pink and sometime white noise during transmission and reception. If you cant hear it coming out of your phone go near a stereo turn the volume all the way up and then mute it. Send a text and your speakers will make sound due to the board traces picking up the signals and the transistor not being able to switch back fast enough to accurately reproduce them causing it to generate frequencies within the audible range.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:02:37 pm »
never heard white nose from the signal but i have heard chirping noises when it looses then finds a tower.... and a general buzzing when a call is about to come in.... but i think we're getting even more off topic...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx