gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 08:37:34 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Call for limits on web snooping
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Call for limits on web snooping  (Read 606 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Call for limits on web snooping
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:38:24 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8144713.stm

Governments and companies should limit the snooping they do on web users. So said Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the world wide web, who said that growing oversight of browsing could have a pernicious effect.

A greater part of the value of the web lay in the lack of constraints on what people could do with it. He also warned that attempts to censor what people could say or what they could do online were ultimately doomed to failure.

Open triumph
"When you use the internet it is important that the medium should not be set up with constraints," he said. The internet, said Sir Tim, should be like a blank piece of paper. Just as governments and companies cannot police what people write or draw on that sheet of paper so they should not be restricted from putting the web to their own uses. "The canvas should be blank," he said. While governments do need some powers to police unacceptable uses of the web; limits should be placed on these powers, he said.

If people know that where they go online and the terms they look for are under scrutiny it could have all kinds of pernicious effects, he warned. Repressive regimes, such as China and Iran, that work hard to limit what people can do online would struggle to maintain that control over time, he said. "The trend over the years is that the internet in the end goes around censorship and openness eventually triumphs," he said. "But it is by no means an easy road."

Commercial interests like to think that it's there just for their ends. It nice to be reminded of the original spirit of the World Wide Web once in a while.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Call for limits on web snooping
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »
There is no one who I feel could be more important than this man to have said these words on the subject.

Unfortunately, they will fall largely on deaf governmental and money-hungry ears as they continue to try and "control" the Internet for their own means.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Call for limits on web snooping
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:53:54 am »
The governments response can be summized to something of the following,

You are not a psychiatrist a sociologist a statistical analyzer or a privacy expert.
You created the www, how on earth does that make you a reputable expert in this field?
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Call for limits on web snooping

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx