gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:32:18 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Metis Scripts and Help  |  Metis Script Help  |  An idea for administration.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: An idea for administration.  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
An idea for administration.
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:47:52 pm »
I've noticed alot of rooms lately which have usergroups in the bot and assigned commands.
But when a user changes name it means the file has to be updated.

My idea is a command done in opmsg or pm or something that lets the bot add you to a userlist, sort of like logging into a room for admin.
That way the host doesnt have to go in and update the files, just clear old names out every 6 months.

I personally have no use for this but others might.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Re: An idea for administration.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:58:57 pm »
The equivalent of lookup access then? Basically only allowing admin (who have logged in in the room) the ability to use a command?

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 01:38:59 pm »
again.. some of the bots have "usergroups" with permission to use commands. someone you would tell the bot a password and it would add you to that usergroup.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:56:18 pm »
I will try and work on this, just gimme some time. :->

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:31:12 pm »
take your time i know of 0 people who want it. but im sure birdman or nut can make use of it. i just had the idea while logging into a room.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:10:23 pm »
I solved this in my room a few years ago by using User Accounts. Everyone that enters the room has an Account which an Admin creates by using a command (An account just like on a Forum) and then the Account can be given access to use whatever you want that user to access. Then if the user changes their name you can use another command to tie their new name in to their old account, thus they receive all their old permissions straight away.

I designed it to be extensible so not only are permissions for users stored to their account but their /setcolour /setname /setwing, !find search filter settings, user interface settings for how the room displays information to the user and many other personal settings. I found this was the best way to do it myself but others may have a different approach. I can't open source it because its a part of a much larger chunk of code and it isn't written for Metis but this gives you an idea of how something like this can be done and I did first write something similar to this in Metis about 3 years ago so I know it is entirely possible within the limits of Metis using text files as storage.

I personally felt when I first came across this it was the gold standard as it is indefinitely extensible being able to tie a user to an account enables you to keep data with/around them throughout their time in your room. Imagine you have Games in your room and at the end of a game is a score given to those who played in most rooms these scores are temporary and reset each time a new game happens but what if you have a global leader-board and the users points follow them from 1 game to another game, I've seen rooms that keep this data with IP's or Usernames but as this Thread correctly describes these things change over time and it creates work for whoever is operating the bot to re-attach that data to the new username, by having a Central Account however which can easily be linked to a new username it removes these issues.

I understand that this Thread was made just to look at better ways to give people permissions to certain commands but I say it can be a lot more than that and actually be the foundation of a room. I hope someone got something from my ramblings here!

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »
i understand that completely. one thing missing from what you did and my idea was that the user can retie their name to the command group or account. that way the host isnt needed.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »
As it's fully extensible a command can easily be added to deactivate an account. I have one for that but I restrict it to Admin use only.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 12:13:30 am »
If you don't mind Pri, I would love to take a look at some of this code, as a reference. I think it is awesome that you made something like this. If you do not want it public, you may PM it to me.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:59:47 am »
If you don't mind Pri, I would love to take a look at some of this code, as a reference. I think it is awesome that you made something like this. If you do not want it public, you may PM it to me.

I'm not willing to open source it at this time. But the idea is there anyone that wants to write a basic model of the same idea could do so in an afternoon and in a few weeks have something interesting.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Metis Scripts and Help  |  Metis Script Help  |  An idea for administration.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx