gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 19, 2024, 03:23:37 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  DRM is Dead, RIAA Says
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DRM is Dead, RIAA Says  (Read 1064 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
DRM is Dead, RIAA Says
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:50 pm »
The digital music landscape is evolving continuously. Just two years ago RIAA chairman and CEO Mitch Bainwol defended the use of DRM on digital music because customers would benefit from it.

“DRM serves all sorts of pro-consumer purposes,” he said at the time, without going into detail about the alleged benefits.

However, in the year that followed the numbers of consumers calling for DRM-free music increased and more labels and music services started to offer music without digital restrictions. Still, the RIAA was not convinced that there could be a future without it, and predicted a comeback for DRM last year.

Quite the opposite happened. Although DRM is still present in the majority of the legal music stores, most of the big players have decided to ditch it. Most importantly Apple announced in early 2009 that all music sold via the iTunes store would be free of DRM. This time even the RIAA doesn’t believe that it can be resurrected.

Jonathan Lamy, chief spokesperson for the RIAA declared DRM dead, when he was asked about the RIAA’s view on DRM for an upcoming SCMagazine article. “DRM is dead, isn’t it?” Lamy said, referring to the DRM-less iTunes store and other online outfits that now offer music without restrictions.

When the most vocal forefighters of DRM say so, it must be for real. Although this is the first time that the RIAA have actually said on record that DRM is dead, other players in the music industry have seen the light before them. Most notable IFPI, who said earlier this year that stripping DRM would “significantly boost download sales.”

In this we have to agree with them. All DRM has ever done is annoy consumers who actually paid for their music. No single piece of DRM has ever stopped anyone from pirating music, it’s quite the opposite as the music industry now realizes.
torrentfreak

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: DRM is Dead, RIAA Says
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:56:56 pm »
Bout time they learned if people buy a song they should be able to do as they please,and burn as many copies as they want.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:15:29 am »
now its time for the MPAA and videogame industries to realise this.... and then the DMCA needs to be dumped... might take 10+ more years but hey.. one can hope...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:33:15 am »
videogame?

Thats a completely different issue. The protection on videogames actually stops about 12% of theft and pirated copies. In most cases you need a special chip to play games that dont have the protection.

I dont see how digital protection on games is an issue.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:30:05 am »
Great to hear. They are thinking like a real business for a change: appeal to the customer, keep what works, and dismantal what doesn't.

I dont see how digital protection on games is an issue.
Why not? People copy videogames just like they do music CD's and DVD's and has been just as big of an issue in gaming circles as has been in music circles. As one example, read up a bit on "SecuROM".

Even some E-Books contain DRM.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:21:33 am »
There have also been numerous cases of drm failure in games and people who had paid £30+ for a game we left unable to use it.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:52:14 am »
RIAA Spokesman Denies Saying 'DRM Is Dead'
A Recording Industry Association of America spokesman who drew a huge amount of attention on the Web when he was quoted as saying "DRM is dead" denied Monday ever making the widely publicized statement.

The alleged quote from Jonathan Lamy drew lots of attention because of the RIAA's previously strong support for the technology used to prevent illegal copying of music and movies. While Hollywood studios still use digital rights management technology in movie and TV show downloads, record companies now offer DRM-free music on Applie iTunes, Amazon.com, RealNetworks and other major online music stores.

Nevertheless, the RIAA, which has aggressively defended copyright holders by suing illegal downloaders and file-sharing sites, is not ready to declare that DRM is ready for the grave. Lamy was originally quoted on TorrentFreak as saying, "DRM is dead, isn't it?" The alleged comment was made in reference to the number of online music stores offering DRM-free tunes that can play in any device.

The TorrentFreak writer Ernesto apparently drew the quote from a discussion with SC Magazine reporter Deb Radcliffe, who asked for the retraction after the quote was published without her permission.

Lamy's full, original comment, made in an e-mail sent to Radcliffe in response to a query for a story she was working on, read: "There is virtually no DRM on music anymore, at least on download services, including iTunes."

After Radcliffe asked for the retraction, claiming the quote was incorrect and published without her permission, TorrentFreak ran a correction, which read, in part: "We just learned the the RIAA never used the word dead in its reply to the reporter."

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 12:48:02 am »
Way to go shattering my hopes and dreams like that.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  DRM is Dead, RIAA Says

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx