gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 02:36:10 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft in new EU browser offer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft in new EU browser offer  (Read 556 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Microsoft in new EU browser offer
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:17:47 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8168235.stm

Microsoft has made a new proposal to European competition regulators that it hopes will end their row over the firm's Internet Explorer web browser. It proposes that European buyers of its new Windows 7 operating system will be offered a list of potential browsers when they first install the software. The move comes a month after Microsoft said European buyers of Windows 7 would have to download a web browser. Brussels ruled in January that pre-bundling Explorer hurt competition.

Microsoft said its proposal meant that users would be able to "easily install competing web browsers, set one of those browsers as a default, and disable Internet Explorer" from a "ballot screen" of alternative browsers. "We believe that if ultimately accepted, this proposal will fully address the European competition law issues relating to the inclusion of Internet Explorer in Windows," said Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith.

'Investigate'
"The Commission welcomes this proposal, and will now investigate its practical effectiveness in terms of ensuring genuine consumer choice," said Commission regulators. They added that Microsoft was also proposing to disclose more interoperability information about Windows to external software providers.

Microsoft had to be dragged screaming and protesting to this position, but it seems they got there in the end. This can only benefit users by giving them choice.  8)

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Microsoft in new EU browser offer
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:49:46 pm »
It's the first situation (assuming it sticks) that feels like the old days. When I first signed up for the Internet, there was no pre-installed web browser on my OS, so my ISP sent me an install disc for both IE and Netscape. IE wasn't forced on me.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft in new EU browser offer

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx